Iron Mill Planation nr. Frome, Somerset, 8.9 acres acres of broadleaf woodland in a rural setting for £143,000 (freehold) [#F1908]
Broadleaf woodland, with its own access, in a quiet location south of Frome.
BA11 5BZ (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 183
- Roadside gate: ST 759 431
- Centre of wood: ST 757 431
Presented to the market is Iron Mill Plantation with private access, occupying broadly level ground with a few gentle undulations. The woodland is found in a rural location, yet only a short drive south from Frome. To the north and west are agricultural fields which offer lovely views of the incredibly peaceful surrounding area. Further woodland lies to the south.
Pedunculate oak is the predominant tree species dotted throughout - a number of individuals are quite old and beautiful in their own right. Ash, holly, hazel, poplar, birch, beech are also present. Underneath the trees is a variety of plant life - of note are purple orchids, bluebells, wood anemones, dog’s mercury and a few varieties of ferns.
The area is well known for its roe and muntjac deer, and signs of these visitors were seen in the woodland. Grey squirrels and a variety of songbirds were seen and heard during our visit and it is expected that foxes and badgers are also frequent visitors.
The woodland has been untouched for a number of years, although there are signs of previous use, such as a few game bird feeders in places. There are some nice, relatively open, grassy areas which would make perfect wild camping locations, following a bit of a strim to control the wild grasses.
A few animal tracks criss-cross the woodland but other than that it is incredibly private - there are no public rights of way here. The thick holly bushes also add to the privacy by limiting the view under the canopy of the trees.
In summary, Iron Mill Plantation is beautiful and wild, and presents an incredible opportunity to purchase a quiet and isolated piece of the countryside.
If It Were Mine
Clearing some paths into the woodland would make access much easier, perhaps even a few bags of stone at the entrance would make parking easier. Some of the trees could be felled to thin out the upper canopy and these could produce a nice quantity of firewood for the campfire.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head south from Frome centre on Marston Road/B3090/The Butts.
- Drive ‘straight over’ two roundabouts.
- When you reach the third roundabout with the A361, take the 1st exit, heading towards Standerwick Market.
- After 200 metres move into the turning lane to turn right, directions Tytherington and Lower Marston (Bull’s Quarries road).
- Drive down this road for approximately 0.6 miles, (you will drive past the Fox & Hound pub on the left about halfway along).
- Turn right onto Tuckmarsh Lane.
- Continue for approximately 0.9 miles until you reach an ‘S’ bend in the road, just before Trudox Hill village.
- Turn left here onto a narrow single-track road.
- Drive down this road for approximately 500 metres until you reach two timber gates adjacent to one another. Both should have our yellow and green ‘Woodland For Sale’ sign on them (point A on the plan below).
- Iron Mill Plantation is on the right as you face the gates and has an orange X on a tree just behind its gate.
- Please park in a safe place not obstructing any access points nor the road.
- To access the woodland, go through the gate – please close it behind you.
Woodland Entrance Area
- At the woodland entrance the boundary KL is the earth bund with fields beyond, LA is the earth bund and fence with verge and council road beyond.
- The western boundary GH is an earth bund with ditch, post and rail fence and paddocks beyond.
- The northern boundary HJ is the earth bund with ditch, fence and fields beyond.
- The eastern boundary JK is the earth bund with ditch, partly dilapidated fence and fields beyond.
- The southern boundary GA is indicated by thin wooden posts with white paint partly following the top of an earth bund within the main body of the woodland.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.