Meneth Wood, Gweek, Cornwall. Mature mixed woodland. 6.37 acres freehold for £65,000 [#A1780]
Ancient woodland combining areas of mature conifer with coastal oak overlooking the Helford Estuary.
TR12 6BG (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Roadside gate: ///party.solution.increased
Centre of wood: ///nursery.triangles.agents
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 203
- Roadside gate: SW 702 256
- Centre of wood: SW 707 262
Meneth Wood lies above Ponsontuel Creek on the upper reaches of the Helford Estuary. The attractive hamlet of Gweek is less than half a mile away with its village shop, country pub and boatyard café. A wider range of goods and services can be obtained in Helston, three miles to the west. Truro and the A30 trunk road are a forty-minute drive to the north.
Lying on a broad spur, Meneth Wood combines some elegant conifer stands with a grove of ancient semi-natural coastal oak woodland. There are some steeper slopes near to the minor public road on either side but the larger part of the wood overlies level or gently sloping terrain.
Aside from a small stand of western hemlock, the dominant conifer species is Douglas fir. Planted in the 1950s these elegant stems are approaching maturity and promise some attractive mill-wood. To the northwest of the conifers is a belt of mature mixed broadleaves including oak, beech and sycamore. Running down the spur to the southeast you enter the coastal oak – a natural habitat of native species with a rich ground flora including blueberry, heather, ferns and woodrush. Elsewhere you will also find patches of bluebells and blackberry.
The southeast side of the wood fronts the public road. Access to the upper northwest section is by an unsurfaced 4WD track.
Buzzards, woodland songsters and roe deer were all in evidence when we visited the site. With stems for the silviculturist, habitat for the naturalist and amenity for all, this varied woodland is a really interesting package. Add in the proximity of the Helford River and the charming hamlet of Gweek and surely there’s very little left on anyone’s wish list!
If It Were Mine
The stands appear windfirm so there’s no urgency to harvest, but I’d be tempted to fell the rest of the western hemlock. Ultimately of course the Douglas fir will also make an attractive timber parcel. I’d then want to restock with native broadleaves including a high proportion of oak to extend and enhance both habitat and amenity. In the short term I’d also want to control the patch of blackberry in the southeast part of the conifers.
The glade at the upper west corner of the wood promises to be an ideal camping location.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Truro head southwest on the A39.
- When nearing Falmouth fork right at a double roundabout onto the A394 signed for Helston.
- After 3½ miles fork left onto a single track road signed for Gweek and Constantine (shortly before passing Autotrend Car Mart on your right), and drive four miles into Gweek.
- Pass through the village and the head of the estuary then turn left just before a thatched cottage signed for Mawgan and Goonhilly Downs.
- Follow this road round the edge of the estuary for just under a mile, then turn first right.
- Cross the ford and park on the hard-standing immediately on your right.
- Walk up the road for 100 metres to the first gate on your right (X on the plan).
- Climb the gate (sorry, but we do not give out keys for viewing) and walk up the track for about 680 metres until you see a line of blue-topped posts to left and right at the edge of a glade (E).
- The northwest boundary (AB) is the field-edge fence, and (BC) a line of red-topped posts.
- The east boundary (CD) is the roadside verge.
- The southwest boundary (DEA) is a line of blue-topped posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the route XE.
- A right of way is reserved to the retained land (including a right to upgrade) over the route BE.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Third Party Rights
There is an overage (or ‘clawback’) provision whereby 25% of the increase in value of the land attributable to planning permission for change of use is payable to a previous owner. The potential for securing permission is remote but the clause cannot be varied.
This overage is covered by a Deed of Charge which a purchaser must sign. This is fairly standard, but the legal transfer of the property may take longer than usual as the signatures of all the trustees of Bosahan Estate (the original owners) are required. Any purchaser must be prepared for this delay. Please ask the agent if you want more details.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.