Crofter Wood, near South Molton, Devon. 2.43 acres of broadleaves with excellent access. £35,000 (freehold) [#F1716]
Mixed broadleaf woodland in a flat and secluded location a few miles from Witheridge.
EX18 7EF (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 180
- Roadside gate: SS 751 168
- Centre of wood: SS 752 170
This delightful woodland is found in an incredibly quiet part of the Devon countryside, the occasional lowing of a nearby herd of cows tends to be the only interruption.
Access is a short distance from the main road along a stoned track from which a soft track runs through the northern section of the woodland. With a little maintenance this could be a very useful access to drive in and park if camping or working in the woods during the summer months.
The tree species in Crofter Wood are predominately oak and beech but there are several other species found here too such as birch, sycamore, hazel, hawthorn and holly. Some the oaks along the northern boundary are believed to be in excess of 150 years old.
There are certainly lots of shy woodland creatures as evidenced by occasional sightings, but mostly by the signs of foraging and spoor. Hares, foxes and rabbits have been seen as well as the ever present grey squirrel. The trees are alive with birdsong throughout the year and the countryside location means there are plenty of raptors and other birds of prey flying around too.
The ground is lovely, flat and easily traversable with a nice variety of vegetation growing throughout. There are a couple of small glades in the woodland with a lush layer of wild grass growing, elsewhere you may find a mixture of the occasional snowdrop, cowslip, violets, dog’s mercury, fern species, some bramble, mosses (although the oak and beech leaf litter does a good job of suppressing a lot of vegetation growth).
In summary, this is a beautiful and tranquil woodland, surrounded by nature and would be a lovely hobby woodland for someone to take ownership of to manage or as a great place to get away from the world and do a bit of camping or other activity (or both!).
If It Were Mine
I would do a bit of clearing of the deadwood on the ground, I always leave a few pieces to rot down as this provides excellent habitat for bugs and beasties for songbirds to feed on. I would probably cut a some of the younger trees down to thin out the woodland.
One of the natural glades could be extended by felling a few of the small trees around it, this could produce either a nice glade to encourage wildflowers and other plants or an open space to pitch a tent for wild camping.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Witheridge, proceed out of the village passing Mole Valley Farmers on the left and continue northwest on the B3137 towards South Molton.
- After 3.2 miles, turn left at the crossroads sign posted to Chulmleigh and Chawleigh.
- Continue along the single lane road for half a mile to a second crossroads with a cream bungalow and wooden fence ahead.
- Continue over the crossroads towards Chulmleigh and Chawleigh along the single-track road for 1 mile and you will see our Wood4Sale sign on a tree on the right hand side, and immediately before that a double wooden gate with another Woods4Sale on (point A on the plan below).
- Please park nearby, ensuring you do not block the gate.
- Climb over or step around the gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewing purposes) and walk down the stone track for approximately 100 metres until you see a green painted post on the right hand side (point A), this is the start of the woodland.
- The north boundary is the earth bank with ditch and agricultural fence/field beyond.
- The east boundary is indicated by pink paint on trees and posts
- The west boundary is the earth bank with agricultural fence and field beyond.
- The south boundary is indicated by green paint on trees and posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route AB.
- A right of way is reserved over the route BC for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.