Lull Wood, Banwell, North Somerset. 1.33 acres of lovely mixed mature woodland in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 27 miles west of Bath. £15,000 (freehold) [#F1571]
A secluded woodland overlooking farmland with views towards the coast, a short drive from the M5 and Weston-Super-Mare.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 182
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: ST 407 593
- Centre of wood: ST 402 588
Nearest postcode: BS29 6PQ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Lull Wood is situated a short drive east of Weston-Super-Mare on the northern fringes of the Mendip Hills in rural Somerset, and forms part of a wider historical woodland that dates back to the Iron Age.
Sitting on fertile free draining soils that slope gently north, a mature canopy comprises beech, oak, ash, hazel and occasional larch. Some particularly majestic examples of beech and hazel stand towards the northwest boundary and access track. Testifying to its careful previous management, the stems show good form and with a Forestry Commission thinning licence in place, a new owner could further enhance the woodland with a simple thinning programme. Below is a lush shrub layer of hazel coppice, beech regeneration (known for its shade tolerance), sycamore and hawthorn. Swathes of bluebell, wild garlic, and hart’s-tongue fern carpet the ground layer, characteristic of a long-established woodland.
Far reaching views of Somerset and the River Severn beyond can be enjoyed at numerous points from the southern end of the wood. The wood hosts a wide diversity of wildlife visitors including roe deer, fox, badger, buzzard, green woodpecker and the rare lesser horseshoe bat, as well as many tuneful songsters.
Lull Wood is ideal for someone looking to promote the woodland to maximise its potential (and also get a bit of firewood in the process!). It benefits from good vehicular access suitable for a 2WD vehicle in all but the wettest of months. Towards the southern boundary, an additional track provides useful access for forestry purposes.
If It Were Mine
I would look to improve the final section of the track to allow parking, storage of firewood or an area to camp.
Some of the areas within Lull wood could do with thinning out that would improve the overall health of the woodland.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Banwell village, head east on the A368 towards Sandford.
- After approximately half a mile, you will see a layby on the right-hand side with a double wooden gate set back and Wood4Sale signs (point A on the plan below).
- Please park safely in front of one of the gates, ensuring there is clear vehicular access through the other for key holders (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings).
- Climb the gate and turn immediately right, continue along the track and up the hill.
- After roughly half a mile you will reach a T junction (point B) with the ruins of a cottage set back to the right.
- Turn right and after 15 metres turn right again (point C) following the track down towards the cottage ruin.
- As the track bears left, take the fork to the right (point D) and continue down the track.
- After 450 metres you will arrive at the woodland, indicated by the wooden sign on a tree (point E).
- The north boundary is the earth bund and dilapidated fence with fields beyond.
- The east boundary is indicated by green paint on wooden posts and trees.
- The south boundary is the outside edge of the earth track as indicated by blue paint on wooden posts and trees that may be offset by a short distance.
- The west boundary is the fence.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABCDE on the plan below.
- There is a right of way for forestry purposes only over the route DF.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Tree Preservation Order
The woodland is subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). This does not prevent appropriate tree felling. However, the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained in advance.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. If you wish to purchase this property please register your interest with us. All parties who do so will then be invited to submit their best and final offer for a given closing date. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.