Sutton Wood, near Tiverton, Devon. 2.86 acres of mixed mature hardwood with excellent access. £32,000 (freehold) [#F1567]
Maturing mixed hardwood woodland on a gentle slope in a private and secluded location in the middle of the countryside.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 180
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SS 751 168
- Centre of wood: SS 747 174
Nearest postcode: EX18 7EF
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
One of the most attractive characteristics about Sutton wood is the variety of species growing here. The trees are a mixture of broadleaves, predominately beech and oak, but there are also silver birch, hazel, sycamore, willow, holly and hawthorn found growing here. These are a mixture of ages which has created a very diverse canopy with small glades throughout the woodland where light reaches the floor, creating a very picturesque setting.
The ground flora within the woodland consist of a variety of wildflowers, ferns, grasses and mosses. Of note our forester was able to identify bluebells, wild garlic, wild campion, wood sanicle, yellow pimpernel and wood speedwell.
Signs of deer, believed to be roe, have been noted on site, along with the odd badger, and fox. The woodland is alive with birdsong and on warm summer days, buzzards have been seen circling, riding the hot air currents.
Sutton Wood is found in the middle of the Devon countryside, but is easily accessible from South Molton which is a mere 10 miles away. A stoned track takes you into the woodland which is easily accessible in a two wheeled drive car all year round. There are a few gates between the road and the edge of the woodland, separating a few agricultural fields that you must pass through to get to the woodland, this does lend a huge sense of security to the woodland.
If a quiet, secluded and private woodland is sought, you need not look any further than Sutton wood, it is a fantastic woodland with a lot of variety and would be a wonderful place to spend some quality time outside in the Devon countryside.
If It Were Mine
This woodland is an ideal place to do some wild camping and there are already a few open glades that could be utilised with minor changes. There are a few trees that could be felled to make some ready firewood, either for the campfire or to take home.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Witheridge, proceed out of the village passing Mole Valley Farmers on the left and continue northwest on the B3137 towards South Molton.
- After 3.2 miles, turn left at the crossroads sign posted to Chulmleigh and Chawleigh.
- Continue along the single lane road for half a mile to a second crossroads with a cream bungalow and wooden fence ahead.
- Continue over the crossroads towards Chulmleigh and Chawleigh along the single-track road for 1 mile and you will see our Wood4Sale sign on a telegraph pole on the left, and a double wooden gate opposite on the right (point X on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place off the road not obstructing the gates or through traffic. Sorry we do not provide the code or keys for viewing (please note, buyers will have full vehicular access into the wood upon completion).
- Climb the timber gate (or walk around it) and continue down the stoned track for approximately 650 metres, passing agricultural fields on the left and right and there are 6 metal farmers gates to climb.
- You will ultimately reach a metal padlocked gate on the edge of the woodland (point A) with a Woods4Sale sign attached.
- Climb this gate and continue along the forest track for approximately 100 metres until you see orange painted posts on the left-hand side, and there should be a wooden sign with Sutton wood on it.
- This is the north-eastern corner of the woodland (point B).
- The east boundary is indicated by wooden posts and trees marked with orange paint.
- The west boundary is indicated by wooden posts and trees marked with blue paint.
- The north boundary is the northern edge of the track indicated by green paint on wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance.
- The southern boundary is indicated by an earth bank with stock fence immediately beyond.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route XAB.
- A right of way is reserved to others over BC.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.