Bach Wood, near Bath, Somerset. 8.45 acres of broadleaf and conifer woodland with vehicular access, 16 miles from junction 18 of the M4. £105,000 (freehold) [#S1552]
A stunning woodland encompassing oak, beech and Lawson Cypress in a rural location, offering recreational opportunities, 5 miles from the historic city of Bath.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 172/173
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside access point: ST 794 628
- Centre of wood: ST 791 628
Nearest postcode: BA15 2JF
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Bach Wood is located within a wider gated woodland known as Warleigh Wood, 5 miles east of Bath on the eastern fringes of Somerset. It benefits from good access with a 2WD vehicle along a hard-surfaced track.
Situated amongst sloping lime rich loamy sandy soils, the mature canopy to the east comprises majestic oak, beech, ash, sycamore and occasional Scots pine. To the west, the woodland comprises magnificent Lawson Cypress, ash, and occasional elm. Within the shrub layer below, there are lush areas of hazel coppice (a great material for bushcraft activities), hawthorn and regenerating beech. Occupying the ground layer are swathes of bluebell and fragrant wild garlic, making a lovely woodland scene between the stems during spring.
Towards the centre of the woodland and accessed via a soft track, there is a good open space that would make an excellent spot for family BBQs and occasional camping whilst gazing at the stars on a clear night.
Many feathered visitors such as little sedge warbler, green woodpecker, buzzard, and an array of harmonious songsters enjoy the tranquillity of this location. A variety of woodland creatures including deer- both muntjac and roe, badger, fox, rabbit and wood mouse have all been spotted.
Bach Wood has vast scope for a weekend woodsman and is a wonderful place to enjoy with family and friends. The current owners have carried out a detailed Forestry Commission management plan for the woodland, this working document could be taken on by a new owner if desired.
There is an Article 4 direction on the wider woodland including Bach Wood which means that permitted development rights which normally apply for any improvement to, or installation of, gates/fences/walls have been removed and full planning permission should be sought.
If It Were Mine
I would most certainly consider selecting an ash or two to fell and mill on site, some fuel could be yielded from these. This woodland is a wonderful place to sit quietly and observe wildlife make their way amongst the stems. I would definitely look to improve my bushcraft skills here. Some wild garlic pesto after a good forage is also a thought.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Winsley village, continue west along the B3108 towards Bath and Limpley Stoke then turn right opposite the entrance to Avonpark retirement village, shortly after leaving Winsley.
- Continue along Blackberry Lane towards Conkwell with narrow stone walls either side (please drive carefully along this lane) passing a large home and equestrian fields called Conkwell Grange.
- After 1 mile you will arrive in the hamlet of Conkwell and at a T junction with a signpost on top of a rockery in the middle.
- Turn left towards Little Ashley and Warleigh and continue along the lane leaving Conkwell and passing a yellow road salt box on the right.
- After 250 metres you will arrive at two track accesses on the left (point A on the plan below); if you arrive at the junction with a patch of grass in the middle signed for Warleigh, you have gone too far.
- Take the track to the right indicated by the orange arrow on a tree and you will arrive at a locked steel gate shortly after (point B).
- Please park in a suitable safe place neither obstructing the gate nor through traffic.
- Climb the gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings) and continue along the track through the wider woodland.
- After 280 metres you will arrive at a junction with a green shed on the right (point C). Turn sharply left and follow the undulating track down the hill.
- After 330 metres you will arrive at the woodland ahead of you as the track levels out at a T junction (point D).
- You will also see our Woods4Sale sign on a tree and a Bach Wood sign attached to a wooden bar gate.
- The eastern boundary KE is the inside edge of the track indicated by occasional short wooden posts, EF is indicated by orange paint and orange ribbon on occasional wooden posts.
- The southern boundary FG is the fence along the top of the bank, GH is the stock fence with fields beyond.
- The western boundary HJ follows a stock fence with further woodland and farmland beyond.
- The north boundary JK is indicated by red paint on occasional woodland posts and trees.
The sporting rights are owned and include in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABCDE and DK.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.