Mawgan Wood, Gweek, Cornwall. A bright mixed woodland above the upper reaches of the Helford Estuary. 6.98 acres for £56,000 (freehold) [#A1422]
Mature beech and Douglas fir overlooking Ponsontuel Creek near the Lizard Heritage Coast.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 203
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SW 702 256
- Centre of wood: SW 705 256
Nearest postcode: TR12 6BG
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Mawgan Wood lies above Ponsontuel Creek on the upper reaches of the Helford Estuary. The attractive hamlet of Gweek is less than a mile away with its village shop, country pub and boatyard café. A wider range of goods and services can be obtained in Helston, three miles to the west. Truro and the A30 trunk road are a forty-minute drive to the north.
Mawgan Wood occupies east-facing ground with fields above and a minor road below, with the slopes tapering to an almost level area on the upper west side. The wood is a mix of scattered mature full-canopy beech trees surrounded by maturing Douglas fir. An occasional birch shows its head and there is a top fringe of oak and hazel on the field edge.
Access is by an unsurfaced track which is negotiable in dry weather by 2WD with adequate clearance. Aside from the gully at the northeast boundary the woodland floor is uncluttered and easy to walk.
This good-sized wood has plenty of timber and plenty of charm. Those with an eye for quality conifers and Cornish estuarine scenery will have plenty to enjoy here.
An Article 4 Direction applies to the wood withdrawing ‘permitted development’ rights and effectively making such rights subject to planning permission.
The vendor is also selling adjacent woodland to the southwest of Mawgan Wood. Please contact the office if you are interested in a larger combined sale.
If It Were Mine
I’m always inclined towards broadleaves so would tend to give the beech a bit more light with some halo thinning and I might also open some small coupes for planting a wider variety of hardwoods.
The upper level area next to the fields makes for a pleasant camping location.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Truro head southwest on the A39.
- When nearing Falmouth fork right at a double roundabout onto the A394 signed for Helston.
- After 3½ miles fork left onto a single track road signed for Gweek and Constantine (shortly before passing Autotrend Car Mart on your right), and drive four miles into Gweek.
- Pass through the village and the head of the estuary then turn left just before a thatched cottage signed for Mawgan and Goonhilly Downs.
- Follow this road round the edge of the estuary for just under a mile, then turn first right.
- Cross the ford and drive uphill for 120 metres until you see a metal gate on your right with a Woods4Sale sign (A on the plan) – the woodland entrance.
- You can park in the layby just 40 metres further on to your left (opposite a house drive) and walk back down to the entrance gate.
- Climb the gate and walk up the track for about 300 metres until you see a line of blue-topped posts to your right and an open field to your left (point B on the plan).
- Sorry, but we do not give out keys for viewing.
- The northwest boundary (BC) is the field-edge fence.
- The northeast boundary (CD) is marked by red-topped posts (which follows the line of a seasonal stream lower down).
- The southeast boundary (DE) is the roadside verge.
- The southwest boundary (BE) is marked by blue-topped posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the route AB.
- A right of access is reserved to others (including a right to upgrade with stone to a width of 4 metres) over the route BC.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Third Party Rights
There is an overage (or ‘clawback’) provision whereby 25% of the increase in value of the land attributable to planning permission for change of use is payable to a previous owner. The potential for securing permission is remote but the clause cannot be varied.
This overage is covered by a Deed of Charge which a purchaser must sign. This is fairly standard, but the legal transfer of the property may take longer than usual as the signatures of all the trustees of Bosahan Estate (the original owners) are required. Any purchaser must be prepared for this delay.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.