Tolvan Wood, Gweek, Cornwall. Mixed conifers and mature beech. 6.85 acres for £58,000 (freehold) [#A1420]
Mature beech stems, conifers and stream frontage on the north fringe of The Lizard Heritage Coast.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 203
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SW 702 256
- Centre of wood: SW 704 257
Nearest postcode: TR12 6BG
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Tolvan Wood lies at the southern corner of a larger woodland about a mile to the south of Gweek. The village boasts a shop, a country pub and an excellent café in the boatyard. A wider range of goods and services can be obtained in Helston, three miles to the west. Truro and the A30 trunk road are a forty-minute drive to the north.
The wood occupies varied topography with an upper area of gently sloping ground supporting stands of maturing Douglas fir and some large full-canopy beech. The ground then falls away more steeply under beech and occasional oak to the stream and road on the lower east side. Beneath is a light under-storey of saplings from the parent trees supplemented by a smattering of holly, hazel and the occasional rowan. At the southern entrance there is small mixed stand of oak and birch.
As well as the access track along the upper edge there is also an entrance into the lower woodland near the ford at the southern tip of the wood. In between, the woodland floor is carpeted with beech leaves and needles making for easy access on foot.
Aside from the stream Tolvan also has an attractive parking area a short distance inside the gate – a handy space for timber processing and an appealing amenity area.
With some useful stands of timber, large attractive broadleaves, a stream and private in-wood parking, Tolvan covers a lot of bases. Add the proximity of the Helford River and the adjacent coastline and you have quite a property.
An Article 4 Direction applies to the property withdrawing ‘permitted development’ rights and effectively making such rights subject to planning permission.
If It Were Mine
The entrance glade and the level ground up the hill both make attractive locations for woodland camping and BBQs.
On the silvicultural front I’d be tempted to steer this wood to a wholly broadleaf composition through phased felling of the conifers and restocking with natives like oak, cherry and birch.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Truro head southwest on the A39.
- When nearing Falmouth fork right at a double roundabout onto the A394 signed for Helston.
- After 3½ miles fork left onto a single track road signed for Gweek and Constantine (shortly before passing Autotrend Car Mart on your right), and drive four miles into Gweek.
- Pass through the village and the head of the estuary then turn left just before a thatched cottage signed for Mawgan and Goonhilly Downs.
- Follow this road round the edge of the estuary for just under a mile, then turn first right.
- Cross the ford and drive uphill for 120 metres until you see a metal gate on your right with a Woods4Sale sign (A on the plan) – the woodland entrance.
- You can park in the layby just 40 metres further on to your left (opposite a house drive) and walk back down to the entrance gate.
- Climb the gate and walk up the track (sorry, but we do not give out keys for viewing). This is the start of Tolvan Wood.
- The northwest boundary (AB) is the northwest edge of the track.
- The northeast boundary (BC) is marked by a line of blue-topped posts.
- The east boundary (CD) is the roadside verge.
- The southeast boundary (DE) is the mid-line of the stream.
- The southwest boundary (AE) is the roadside verge (and the old wall nearer to E).
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of access is reserved to others (including a right to upgrade with stone to a width of 4 metres) over the route AB.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Third Party Rights
There is an overage (or ‘clawback’) provision in place until 2087 whereby 25% of the increase in value of the land attributable to planning permission for change of use is payable to a previous owner. The potential for securing permission is remote but the clause cannot be varied.
This overage is covered by a Deed of Charge which a purchaser must sign. This is fairly standard, but the legal transfer of the property may take longer than usual as the signatures of all the trustees of Bosahan Estate (the original owners) are required. Any purchaser must be prepared for this delay.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.