Garland Wood, near Tiverton, Devon. 2.29 acres of attractive mature broadleaf woodland in a prime rural location. £25,000 (freehold) [#F1271]
A mix of mature oak, ash and beech surrounded by woodland and agricultural land with good access to Exeter and North Devon.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 180
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SS 751 168
- Centre of wood: SS 745 174
Nearest postcode: EX18 7EF
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Garland Wood is a well- established mixed species woodland in the heart of the Devonshire countryside, not far from Tiverton. Exmoor National Park lies a few miles to the north and the popular coastal towns of Westward Ho! and Croyde are about 20 miles to the west. The woodland is relatively flat, with a slight gradient that runs downhill in a northerly direction.
The woodland is a wonderful mix of mature oak and beech with a smattering of tall Scots pine. The upper canopy is relatively dense and there are only a few natural breaks between the trees, however, underneath the canopy, you will find a vigorous shrub layer of self-seeded and naturally regenerating hazel, holly and the odd hawthorn growing, and in between these, a lush bed of ferns, wild grasses, and a fine display of bluebells in the spring. Among the undergrowth, if you forage around, you will find a variety of mushrooms, giving this woodland a truly wild feeling.
A careful observer will notice the nibbled ends to the ground vegetation, signs of the local roe deer population that wander through the woodland. Badger setts have been noted elsewhere in the wider woodland and the animal tracks found throughout Garland Wood are likely well used by the badgers. On our visit squirrels were seen scampering up the beech and oak trees, foraging for nuts to see them through the coming winter. The only thing disrupting the quietness of the wood are the many songbirds flitting through the trees and the occasional squawk of a rook chasing a nosey buzzard overhead.
This beautiful woodland is easily accessed from the main road along the recently upgraded stone track, accessible to 2WD cars year-round, meaning you can enjoy the wood whatever the weather.
If It Were Mine
There are already several different wild mushrooms growing in the wood. To enhance this, I would fell a few trees around a naturally forming clearing (which could also fuel the home hearth!) and I would try and ‘plant’ fungal spores in some deadwood, and grow some mushrooms for my own consumption. I would set up a little campsite and cook some scrumptious food and enjoy the quiet solitude of the woodland.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
This video is of the larger woodland as a whole and is not representative of any specific sale.
Directions & Access
- From Witheridge, proceed out of the village passing Mole Valley Farmers on the left and continue northwest on the B3137 towards South Molton.
- After 3.2 miles, turn left at the crossroads sign posted to Chulmleigh and Chawleigh.
- Continue along the single lane road for half a mile to a second crossroads with a cream bungalow and wooden fence ahead.
- Continue over the crossroads towards Chulmleigh and Chawleigh along the single-track road for 1 mile and you will see our Wood4Sale sign on a telegraph pole on the left, and a double wooden gate opposite on the right (point X on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place off the road not obstructing the gates or through traffic. Sorry we do not provide the code or keys for viewing. (Please note, buyers will have full vehicular access into the wood upon completion).
- Climb the gates and continue north along the forest track for 285 metres. Climb over the first and second steel gates in the field.
- Continue north on the new stone track for 110 metres and climb over two further steel gates, where the track crosses over a rough farm track.
- Continue north down the track keeping the new fence on the left for 185 metres and climb the steel gate.
- Continue down the track for 95 metres and climb the steel gate with the Wood4Sale sign attached, entering the wider woodland (point A).
- Proceed along the forest track passing a pond on the right and after approximately 150 metres you will come to a set of wooden posts with white paint, this is the eastern boundary of the woodland (point B).
- The eastern boundary is indicated by wooden posts marked with white paint
- The western boundary is indicated by wooden posts marked with blue paint.
- The south boundary is indicated by an earth bank with mature trees growing on it.
- The northern boundary is outside edge of the hard-stoned track.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route XAB on the plan below.
- A right of way is reserved to others over the route BC.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.