Watermouth Wood, Berrynarbor, near Ilfracombe, Devon. 9.43 acres of mixed broadleaves for £76,000 (freehold) [#A1164]
Coastal broadleaved wood with privacy, amenity and commanding views over the Bristol Channel, just outside Exmoor National Park.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 180.
National Grid Ref:
- Entrance gate: SS 551 472.
- Centre of wood: SS 550 474.
Nearest postcode: EX34 9SA.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
This ancient woodland site is just a quarter of a mile from the North Devon coast above the attractive and quiet village of Watermouth. It lies just west of Exmoor National Park on north-facing ground with commanding views over the Bristol Channel. The renowned resort of Ilfracombe is just a mile to the west.
Watermouth lies between quiet farmland above and the gentle bustle of the pretty coastal inlet of Watermouth to which it has direct pedestrian access via the path leading from its northern tip.
The main part of the wood is sandwiched between fields to east and west on north-facing ground with fine views panning from the Bristol Channel through to the dramatic Hangman Hill above Combe Martin. The narrow northern finger is more steeply sloping with west-facing slopes running from the track down to the stream below.
The woodland canopy is comprised of a variety of hardwoods primarily between 40 and 70 years old with a few older individuals. Sycamore dominates but there are also significant numbers of ash along with several oak, the occasional beech, some willow by the streamside and a peppering of rowan. Beneath the canopy are young saplings, a scattering of holly, some rhododendron and the occasional hazel. The rich herb layer is indicative of ancient woodland with an abundance of wild garlic, bluebells and dog’s mercury, punctuated with patches of primrose, fern and woodrush. Much of the woodland floor is clear of entangling vegetation giving easy pedestrian access.
This is an amenity woodland with opportunities aplenty. The prospects for barbecues, conservation projects, camping and watching wildlife are self-evident. Add in vehicular access above with an easy walk to the coastal inlet below and you have the perfect family holiday spot.
Coastal amenity woods with a private access are infrequent visitors to our website. This one really merits early inspection.
If It Were Mine
The first job would be to trim vegetation at the entrance and then add some stone to the track. Clearing a couple of fallen trees on the lower track would fuel my campfire and hearth for many an evening. I would also remove the rhododendron as this exotic plant can, given time, become invasive.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Heading east out of Ilfracombe on the A399 turn sharp right onto Old Berrynarbor Road (where signed for Hele Business Park).
- After 100 metres or so (at the bottom of the hill) ‘wiggle’ through the houses ensuring you stay on the Old Berrynarbor Road.
- Continue along this narrow road for a further 1.2 miles until you see a Woods4sale sign in a tree on your left.
- The entrance to the wood about 30 metres further on via a recessed gate (A) on your left, by the 30mph sign.
- The southwest boundary (BC) is the woodland edge next to the farm drive.
- The northwest boundary (CD) is the stream.
- The short north boundary (DE) is just above a length of wooden railing.
- The southeast boundary (EF) is the east side of the track.
- The east boundary (FG) is the field edge fence.
- The south boundary (GAB) is the garden fence and then the roadside.
The sporting rights are included and are not let.
The mineral rights are included except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- Access is taken directly from the minor county road on the southern boundary (A on the plan).
- There are no public rights of way in the property.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Third Party Rights:
A right to water is reserved to a third party. A collection cistern is located towards the southwest side of the property which we believe feeds the water tank found near the north end of the wood.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.