Ochre Wood, Banwell, North Somerset. 2.44 acres of broadleaf and conifer woodland in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, near Weston-super-Mare for £27,000 (freehold) [#S1102]
A superb Ancient Woodland set within a wider historical forested area with good access, approximately 45 minutes south of Bristol and 5 miles from junction 21 of the M5.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 182
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: ST 407 593
- Centre of wood: ST 412 589
Nearest postcode: BS29 6PQ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Around an hour west from the beautiful city of Bath and half a mile east of Banwell village, Ochre Wood is an enchanting south facing amenity woodland that looks out to the Mendip Hills from its southeast boundary.
The lush canopy has taken full advantage of the fertile free draining soils, resulting in a strong species mix including sizable oak, mature ash coppice and Lawson cypress. Beneath, hazel coppice and younger Lawson cypress enhance the tranquillity of this wood. A colourful blend of wild garlic and bluebells that cover the woodland floor during the summer months creates a delightful English woodland scene. Sightings of abundant fauna such as roe deer, woodpecker and buzzard are common. A population of rare lesser horseshoe bats are also known to the area, indicating the rich biodiverse habitat of the location.
This woodland is an idyllic place for recreation or even a little light silviculture, making use of the Forestry Commission thinning licence which is in place. Access is excellent via a recently upgraded hard track suitable for a 2WD vehicle. There is the added advantage of a soft track running the length of the wood.
If It Were Mine
I would perhaps practice some gentle silvicultural duties by yielding some firewood for the family hearth. The flat soft track would be ideal for a weekend’s camping by a fire taking in the rural Somerset views.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Banwell village, head east on the A368 towards Sandford.
- After approximately half a mile, you will see a layby on the right-hand side with a double wooden gate set back and Wood4Sale signs (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place in front of the gates but not obstructing both of them. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Climb the gate and turn immediately left passing some agricultural buildings in the field on the left, continuing east along the tack as it meanders through the trees.
- After approximately 650 metres, keep right at a fork in the track (point B).
- Continue up the hill for roughly 80 metres and you will arrive at the start of Ochre Wood indicated by the wooden sign and a wooden stake on the right painted green and orange (point C).
- The northeast boundary is indicated by trees and wooden stakes painted orange.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by wooden stakes painted green.
- The southwest boundary is indicated by trees and wooden stakes painted white.
- The southeast boundary is indicated by a low earth bank with the field beyond.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABC on the plan below.
- A right of way is reserved over the route CD for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- There is a right of way granted for forestry purposes over the route BE.
- There is a right of way reserved for forestry purposes over the route EF for the benefit of woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.