Highgate Wood, Cwmcych (near Newcastle Emlyn), Pembrokeshire. Mature and maturing broadleaves in a beautiful South Wales valley. 4.15 acres for £26,000 (freehold) [#A707]
A variety of hardwoods in a private gated woodland with fishing rights and car access on the Pembrokeshire/Ceredigion border.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 145.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Access point: SN 269 376.
- Centre of wood: SN 268 375.
Nearest postcode: SA37 0LL.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Highgate Wood lies in the upper western section of a larger woodland overlooking the Afon Cych about 5 miles south of Newcastle Emlyn. Carmarthen and the A48 dual carriageway (which links with the M4) is 17 miles to the southeast, and Cardigan some 12 miles to the northwest.
The wood has an east-facing aspect, backing onto grazing fields on its upper west side. From here the wood falls away to the east overlooking Afon Cych. Slopes above (west of) the dividing track are quite moderate. Those below the track (to the east) are pronouncedly steeper.
Highgate supports a range of broadleaf species but the dominant one is oak. These maturing stems are supplemented by birch, beech and ash of varying ages. Beneath this is a healthy showing of native shrubs including holly, hawthorn, elder and blackthorn along with young regenerating hardwood stems. Ground flora varies from the sparse (beneath the beech stems on the upper side of the wood) to abundant bilberry plus plenty of ferns and patches of bluebell.
Low disturbance and a rich habitat mean there’s plenty of woodland wildlife. Foxes and badgers frequent the forest floor and it appears to be good dormouse habitat as well. Ravens, buzzards and woodpeckers were all noted on our visit alongside the usual woodland songsters like thrushes, tits and chaffinches.
The wood comes with fishing rights for two rods on the river below. Whilst casting a fly there you may catch a glimpse of dippers, kingfishers and possibly even an otter.
The access track has been completely upgraded giving excellent vehicular access up to (and through the middle of) Highgate. A soft track links with this, running round the south tip of the property giving access to the upper western side.
This attractive woodland boasts excellent amenity credentials from camping and fishing to bird watching and conservation management… and the remote rural location in southwest Wales means it comes at a very competitive price too.
If It Were Mine
Stewarding ancient woodland needs patience and initially I would do very little apart from a light thinning (a licence is in place) and tidying brash from the trackside.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Newcastle Emlyn head west on the A484 for about 3 miles to Cenarth.
- In Cenarth turn left immediately before crossing the river onto the B4332 signed for Boncath.
- Continue south for 1¾ miles, then immediately after crossing the Afon Cych, park in the layby on your left.
- Walk back across the bridge and climb the locked gate immediately on your left before the cottage (A on the pan). Please note that we do not give out keys for viewing.
- After 70 metres fork right at B just before the field and continue on the hard track up the hill for a further 170 metres to the junction at C.
- Turn sharp right and follow the hard track a further 70 metres to where it crosses a soft track (D). Highgate Wood is now straight ahead of you.
- An alternative access to the lower east side is via the public footpath AJD. This path begins at the gate located between the wooden garage and the cottage.
- The north boundary (GHJ) is marked by a line of paint-topped posts within the wood.
- The southeast boundary (JDE) is the northwest side of the soft track marked periodically by paint-topped posts.
- The southwest boundary (EF) is the field-edge stock fence.
- The west boundary (FG) is the field-edge stock fence.
- The sporting rights are included in the sale. They are not let.
- There are fishing rights for two rods on the west bank of the River Cych between points B and K on the plan.
The mineral rights are included except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way for all purposes from the public road to the property over the route ABCDE.
- A right of access is reserved to the wood beyond over the route DH.
- Maintenance of all shared tracks is according to use.
- A public footpath runs along the southwest boundary EF.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.