Firecrest, Ffostrasol, Ceredigion. 2.11 acres of mixed woodland for £27,500 freehold [#A2022]
Scattered conifers and regenerating broadleaves with excellent access and amenity.
SA44 5SG (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Main entrance (A): ///extension.surfacing.committed
Centre of wood: ///weeded.long.static
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 145
- Main entrance (A): SN 362 490
- Centre of wood: SN 368 491
Firecrest occupies a near-level site in a private location within a larger gated woodland, lying on the south flank of a broad hill in the heart of the Ceredigion countryside. Local services are available at Ffostrasol two miles away. The main A487 coast road is 3 miles to the north giving access to the pretty coastal towns of Aberaeron (10 miles to the northeast) and Cardigan (13 miles to the southwest).
Most of the original crop was lost in a fire about 15 years ago leaving a few scattered Sitka spruce and lodgepole pine. Since then the owner has restored the woodland such that it now presents as an attractive mosaic of well-spaced conifers interspersed with a variety of naturally regenerated broadleaves. In particular there is an attractive grove of broadleaves in the middle of the wood where you will find oak, birch, rowan, willow and beech.
The wood is served by a substantial hard track capable of supporting timber extraction, but also accessible by car. This leads to a hard track on the west side (which belongs to Firecrest) with a useful off-track layby for parking near the centre of the wood.
Firecrest is a rather special little wood combining the prospect of quiet enjoyment with the opportunity to get stuck in and further shape its evolution.
If It Were Mine
There are a few remaining fire-damaged stems which I might process into logs, being careful to retain some standing deadwood for insects and woodpeckers. I’d also halo-thin round any emerging broadleaves to give them space to flourish.
If I had a camper I’d regularly park up for overnights in the layby perhaps landscaping the adjacent area as a locus for recreation. A firepit certainly appeals.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- The village of Plwmp is 9 miles southwest of Aberaeron on the A487.
- From Plwmp head south on the minor road signed for Ffostrasol.
- After 2½ miles turn right onto a single-track road heading west.
- After 0.7 mile keep straight on (ie do not follow the road downhill to your left).
- A further ¼ mile brings you to a sharp left bend and the woodland access gate on your right (A on the plan).
- Please park clear of the access and continue on foot.
- Walk up the track for 300 metres to a second gate (B) with a Red Rock management sign.
- Continue on the track straight ahead for 220 metres to the first track on your right (C).
- Firecrest is on your right after this point.
NOTE: The main vehicular access to Firecrest is from the east (YD on the plan). Keys to the locked gate at Y would be given to the purchaser on completion.
- The north boundary (CD) is the south side of the track indicated by yellow-topped posts.
- The southeast boundary (DE) is the northwest side of the track indicated by blue-topped posts.
- The west boundary (CE) is the west side of the track indicated by white-topped posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCDXY.
- A maintenance clause covers all shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in the wood.
There are no fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Please confirm how you will be funding the purchase and that you have cleared funds available
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.