Thornlea Wood, Cwmcych, (near Newcastle Emlyn), Pembrokeshire. 8.61 acres of maturing broadleaves for £68,000 (freehold) [#A1676]
A variety of ages and species with extensive streamside frontage and good access.
SA37 0LL (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Woodland entrance: ///liquids.outright.expiring
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 145
- Roadside gate: SN 271 371
- Centre of wood: SN 268 370
Thornlea Wood lies in the heart of rural southwest Wales near the boundary between Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. Newcastle Emlyn is 10 minutes to the north. Carmarthen and the A48 dual carriageway (linking to the M4) is about 17 miles to the southeast.
The wood has a northerly aspect sandwiched between grazing fields above and a sizeable clean-running stream below. The mid slopes are quite steep, softening to near level ground above and by the stream.
Thornlea and the adjacent woods are designated as an Ancient Woodland Site. Consequently after the previous crop of conifers was felled in the 90’s the decision was taken to restock the wood with native broadleaves including birch, oak, a scattering of rowan and ash. You will also find plenty of hazel, the occasional hawthorn and a good showing of holly at the top of the wood. The upper woodland has some large field-edge oak and ash, while the streamside terraces support a variety of larger stems including oak, ash, alder and willow.
The vendor has carried out some excellent work thinning the younger trees, opening up the stream-side to dappled sunlight and constructing a good-sized pond. Access is via a stone track suitable for 2WD vehicles which is reached by a substantial timber-decked bridge. There is also a 4WD track giving access to the upper wood.
The container on the track-side above the stream is included in the sale.
The amenity owner and silviculturalist will both find plenty to delight in this very attractive woodland.
If It Were Mine
There is opportunity to further re-space the young broadleaves above the track, favouring the less numerous species like oak and rowan. This would yield considerable volumes for firewood, some of which could be put to good use in a firepit near the streamside – perfect for evening relaxation.
Not being a fan of plastic in the natural environment I would also cover the verges of the pond with soil to encourage fringe vegetation and perhaps clear some of the surrounding trees to admit more light.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Newcastle Emlyn head south on the unclassified road signed for Capel Iwan and the swimming pool (passing the school on your left as you leave the town).
- Continue on this road passing through the hamlet of Penherber heading southwest for 3.3 miles until you reach a ‘T’ junction just after a couple of sharp ‘U’ bends.
- Turn right and drive north (with Afon Cych to your left) for about ½ mile until you see a timber-decked bridge on your left behind a recessed metal gate with a wooden stile adjacent. This is the entrance to the wider woodland.
- Park nearby, climb the stile, cross the bridge and follow the track to your right for about 250 metres until you see a Woods4sale sign in a tree to your left (A on the plan), just after a line of orange-topped posts to either side of the track.
- You are now entering Thornlea.
- Sorry, but we do not give out keys for viewing.
- The east boundary (AB) is marked by orange-topped posts.
- The south boundary (BC) is the field-edge bund next to the stock fence.
- The west boundary (CDE) is marked by red-topped posts.
- The northwest boundary (AE) is the streamside.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times for all purposes over the route XA.
- A right of way is reserved to others over the route AD.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- The track AD and the path BC are both public footpaths.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.