Whitland Wood, 5.08 acres of wonderful oak woodland near Whitland in Camarthenshire for £37,000 (freehold) [#F1370]
Maturing oak woodland with excellent road access in a very quiet location near the South Wales coast, not far from the River Taf.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 158
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SN 208 178
- Centre of wood: SN 212 181
Nearest postcode: SA34 0LG
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Whitland Wood is truly a stunning woodland of primarily maturing sessile oak that are growing on a westerly aspect slope on the Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire border in South Wales. There is a stream that forms the northern boundary which is a tributary of the River Taf to the south.
The woodland is accessed along an excellent stone road which allows for year-round two wheeled drive access and there is a turning area that is ideal to park a vehicle. An excellent footpath has been established that winds through the woodland. Near this footpath are a few flat areas, ideal for a pitching a tent, one of which has already been used as such and has a little campfire and some wooden seats. Nearby there is also a well constructed open sided wooden shelter and at the end of the footpath you will also find a labyrinth that has been created and is a nice addition by the current owners.
Other species of trees growing alongside the oak include sycamore and birch, and the understorey has holly, hazel and along the western boundary there is a curtain of laurel and some rhododendron (the rhododendron was displaying its beautiful purple flowers at the time of our visit) providing a bit of privacy. The current owners have looked after the woodland very well with a lot of care and attention.
Whitland Wood is classified as ‘Ancient Woodland’, this is a designation given where there is evidence of forest cover continuously since the year 1600. The woodland has a variety of flora (many of which are recognised as Ancient Woodland indicator species), such as bluebells, bramble, wood sorrel, a variety of ferns and mosses, cow parsnip and bird’s-eye speedwell and the occasional dog’s mercury. Also scattered among the flora are numerous seedlings trying to compete with the other vegetation, primarily hazel, sycamore and the occasional oak.
The woodland is a perfect wildlife haven and on these longer and warmer days you are surrounded by the sound of songbirds as you walk under the oak trees.
All in all, Whitland Wood is delightful, it has been exceptionally well managed and it is clear that the current owners have enjoyed being in this woodland and they now offer this opportunity to the next woodland guardians.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly make use of the campsite that has been created and enjoy a few nights under the trees with a crackling fire as my companion.
I might also try and further extend the footpath, perhaps make a circular route to walk and give the kids an easier way of getting to see the rest of the woodland.
As an aspiring woodworker, I might try and fell a few of the lovely oak trees and use to build some lovely furniture for the home or as presents.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Heading west along the A40 from St Clears, after 4 miles, you will come to a roundabout, take the third exit at the roundabout, direction Llanboidy.
- Turn left immediately after the roundabout towards Whitland Abbey.
- After 0.5 miles you will see a Woods4Sale sign on the right hand side in front of a wooden field gate and a large yellow “No Trespassers” sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park carefully, but do not park in front of the gate as access is required at all times (sorry we don’t provide keys for visiting).
- Climb the gate and walk along the stone track for about 550 metres until you see two wooden posts marked with orange paint and a Woods4Sale sign. This is the entrance to Whitland Wood (point B).
- The northern boundary is the centre of the stream.
- The eastern and southern boundaries are indicated by trees and posts marked with orange paint.
- The western boundary is an old earth bank with stone sides.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the track marked AB.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There is a right of way reserved to others over BC.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.