Splinter Wood, Knighton, Powys, 1.1 acres of mature oak woodland for £8,000 (freehold) [#M1230]
Beautiful mature oak woodland set in a prominent position near to the town of Knighton, on the Powys/Shropshire border.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 137
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SO 264 718
- Centre of wood: SO 264 716
Nearest postcode: LD7 1PG
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Splinter Wood is a mature woodland that sits in an elevated position above the wider wooded area. This North facing parcel of woodland occupies a slender hillside between forest tracks. It consists mainly of prime Welsh oak with small numbers of ash, rowan, birch and sycamore scattered throughout. The trees are well spaced and it is evident that the woodland has been thinned in the recent past and now contains a developing understorey of hazel and naturally germinated young trees, mostly ash. It is also abundant with honeysuckle vines spiralling up the lower canopy of trees.
This attractive wood has an undisturbed feel complemented by a rich carpet of flora including grasses, ferns, anemones, bluebells, and primroses.
Access to Splinter Wood from the council road is along a recently surfaced winding track that climbs the hill. On reaching the wood, there is a turning and parking place that holds a commanding position.
The wood is most suited to growing timber and will reward the recreational woodsman.
If It Were Mine
This wood needs very little work and should be enjoyed for what it is but a new owner could remove a few of the poorer trees and encourage some of the regenerating oaks with stakes and protection.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Knighton; leave the town on the A488 heading towards Llandrindod Wells.
- After the petrol station on the left, continue about 200 metres take the right turning to Cwmgilla.
- Follow the lane for 0.4 miles and turn left between two houses down Cwmgilla lane.
- After 0.3 mile the road will bear to the right, at which point you will see a metal gate with our Woods4Sale sign next to it (point A on the plan).
- Please park here without blocking access and continue on foot. I’m sorry but we do not give out keys for viewing.
- Climb over the gate and walk along the track for about 310 metres to point B.
- Follow the track which then turns left, through a gate (with our sign on it) and climbs a further 120 metres to point C.
- The woodland starts here and continues along the track to your right.
- The north boundary is indicated by green paint on boundary trees and wooden posts just inside the edge of the track.
- The east boundary is indicated by red paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
- The south boundary is indicated by yellow paint on boundary trees and wooden posts just outside the track.
- The west boundary is indicated by white paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
The woodland comes with full sporting rights.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the roadside gate up to the woodland boundary (marked ABCD on the plan).
- A right of access is reserved to others over the track DE.
- A shared maintenance clause covers these rights of way.
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.