Dry Wood, near Kington, Powys, just over the Herefordshire border. Mixed replanted woodland, 7.42 acres for £59,000 (freehold) [#M1221]
Remote and peaceful broadleaved and fir woodland planted 25 years ago with a spring, stream and rugged 4WD access, just off the English Welsh border.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 148
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SO 225 572
- Centre of wood: SO225 568
Nearest postcode: LD8 2RR
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Dry Wood occupies land which has a flat and south east facing aspect. It has two valleys, each with a stream, one of which is fed by a significant spring. It is set in an extremely pretty, tranquil valley that is accessed along a rustic track most suited to a 4wd vehicle.
The wood is composed of a mixture of tree species that were planted around 25 years ago. There is a formal planting of Douglas fir on the flat area that shows good form and vigour. Other areas were planted with chestnut, cherry and birch. You will also find hazel, rowan and a few nice oaks all showing good annual growth.
The closed canopy of the trees casts shadow on the woodland floor supressing most vegetation, but through a strong leaf litter there are patches of native woodland flora present. There are bluebells, honeysuckle, primrose and ferns to be found against the delightful back drop of the cool flowing stream.
The boundaries are agricultural fences with thorn and hazel hedges that give way in places to fantastic views of rolling farm land and Llanfihangel Hill in the distance.
This woodland offers a great combination of amenity and recreation potential. There is also great opportunity to undertake some silviculture work to enhance the diversity within the wood and collect some firewood.
If It Were Mine
I would carefully thin out competing trees to favour chestnut and oak thereby giving those remaining the opportunity to gain in girth and height. I would also formative prune the best trees by removing any heavy branches that might diminish the good form.
I would open the ride which is now overgrown to the upper flat section where I would consider making a small clearing for the occasional weekend camping trip in the wood.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Presteigne take the B4355 to Kington.
- Turn right on the A44 on the edge of the town and after 2½ miles bear left on the B4594.
- After 1¼ miles turn right signed Gwaeddel and Weythel and after a further 1¼ miles there are tubular steel gates left and right of the road.
- Follow the minor road for 1½ miles and note the position of Trewerne Farm on the left.
- About 400 yards past Trewarne Farm there are tubular steel gates left and right of the road (point A on the plan).
- Park your car without blocking access and continue on foot.
- Follow the rugged track on the left down the hill.
- The woodland starts on the right hand side just after the 90 degree bend on the road (point B).
All the boundaries are agricultural fences.
The woodland comes with full sporting rights.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
There are no public rights of way in this wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.