West Lodge Wood, Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire. An attractive bank of mature Douglas fir positioned in a quiet valley in South Wales. 3.37 acres for £20,500 (freehold) [#M1136]
A gentle stream flanks this mature stand of Douglas fir fringed with mature broadleaves, situated in a peaceful rural valley on the edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 146
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside entrance: SN 634 275
- Centre of wood: SN 634 275
Nearest postcode: SA19 7NH
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
West Lodge Wood occupies a south east facing bank in a charming valley three and a half miles from Llandeilo; Llandovery is 9 miles away. With good access directly off an unclassified road, the wood has a parking space within its boundary.
The wood is dominated by large fir trees approximately 40 to 50 years old. The density of these trees is high for their age and has resulted in straight and valuable stems of potential timber. To the south corner there is a delightful broadleaved area with mature oak, beech and sycamore. There are also mature broadleaves that fringe the field boundary of the wood and scattered regenerating birch and beech throughout. Meandering through these trees is a stream providing a lovely backdrop and serenity which can be appreciated by spending time in the wood camping or a bit of silvicultural work.
The ground beneath the firs is essentially clean, being a floor of needles with patches of fern, bracken and occasional bramble.
Douglas fir thrive on valley sides, and the trees here are well on their way to producing a useful timber crop. The stand appears to be wind-firm so a final round of thinning may be feasible in advance of felling to maximise the tax-free timber returns. The road that runs the full length of the southeast edge should facilitate easy extraction of the timber.
West Lodge Wood is an attractive property with particular appeal to those with an interest in silviculture and woodland management. If you appreciate working a wood in tranquil and beautiful countryside then this is definitely worth a look.
If It Were Mine
Whilst the stand appears to be wind-firm giving the possibility of a thinning I would like to keep the conifer indefinitely because they become magnificent trees but there is always the potential to fell with the option to restock with another commercial crop, or to steer the successor wood towards a native species composition.
I would create a path traversing the bank creating a circular walk through the wood.
Please remember some management options require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Llandeilo at the roundabout on the A40 take the north exit heading towards Llandovery.
- After 100 yards take the first left on to B4302 / Talley Road
- Follow the road for 1.8 miles then turn left on to unclassified road (with Hope Farm on your left)
- After 1 mile the road comes to a sharp right bend with a turning to the left. The wood is straight ahead.
- Park safely at the entrance indicated by a rail across the point of entry (A on the plan).
- The northwest boundary is the agricultural fence.
- The north boundary is the agricultural fence.
- The southeast boundary is boundary is just set back from the edge of the council road
- The south boundary is the agricultural fence.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
There are no public rights of way in this wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.