Dean Wood, 3.5 acres of mature oak woodland near to the town of Knighton, Powys for £38,000 (freehold) [#M1008]
Beautiful mature oak woodland set in a stunning elevated position overlooking the bustling market town of Knighton, situated on the Powys/Shropshire border.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 137.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SO 264 718.
- Centre of wood: SO 267 716.
Nearest postcode: LD7 1PG.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Dean Wood is a delightful mature oak woodland situated within 5 minutes’ drive of the market town of Knighton. This amenity woodland sits in a commanding position with wonderful views to the east over the town and the valley beyond. It is predominantly sessile oak with the occasional ash, sycamore, rowan and birch.
Historically the wood has been well managed, which has resulted in a very fine stand of well-spaced trees. It has an undisturbed feel, which is a delight for nature lovers and is host to a wide variety of wildlife including foxes and badgers. Its unique upland oak woodland habitat contains an abundance of flora including bilberry, ferns and bluebells that provide a colourful display of flowers in spring and summer. Such a rich ecology supports distinct breeding birds such as pied flycatcher, redstart, and wood warbler, with frequently heard tawny owls and woodpeckers, along with a range of deadwood invertebrates.
Dean Wood has a hawthorn and hazel hedge along the north boundary and woodland on all other sides. Access is via a hard surfaced forest track that meanders up and down the hillside leading into the wood, where you can turn and park. An overgrown path runs the entire length of the wood, where one can enjoy views looking out over grazed pasture and along the valley.
Dean Wood is the perfect choice for those looking to own a small piece of beautiful woodland for leisure purposes - including camping - and to get closer to nature. There is also plenty of scope for the new owner to actively manage the woodland to produce quantities of plank grade timber and firewood for the home.
If It Were Mine
The trees are well spaced and very healthy with very little tree work needed as further thinning would encourage epicormics shoots and would reduce the timber value slightly. However I would strim the old ride giving access to an open area to perhaps build a shelter and provide somewhere to dry firewood and have a cuppa whilst enjoying the superb surroundings.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Knighton; leave the town on the A4113 heading towards Llandrindod Wells.
- After 0.6 miles keep straight on to A488 and after about 200 yards turn right.
- Follow the lane for 0.4 miles and turn left between two houses down Cwmgilla lane.
- After 0.3 miles the road will bear to the right, at which point you will see a metal gate with a sign on it (point A on the plan).
- The track continues through the gate (please close the gate behind you) to point B where there is a gate with our sign on it and a parking area.
- Please park here without blocking access and continue on foot. I’m sorry but we do not give out keys for viewing.
- Climb over the gate and walk along the track for about 280 metres to point C, this is the start of Dean Wood.
- Taking the left fork, the wood continues on the left of the track to point E on the plan.
- The east boundary is indicated by green paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by the agricultural fence.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by blue paint on wooden posts.
- The southwest boundary is the inside edge of the track and is indicated by red paint on boundary trees and wooden posts
- The south boundary is the inside edge of the track and is indicated by red paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by Statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is granted for Dean Wood from the roadside gate up to the woodland boundary (marked ABC and DE on the plan).
- A right of way is reserved over points CD (marked on the plan) for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers these rights of way
- There are no public rights of way inside Dean Wood.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- The full contact details (full name, address & phone number) and date of birth of the legal purchaser(s)
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.