Norris Wood, close to Farnborough and Fleet in Hampshire. 9.1 acres of lovely mixed conifer and broadleaves with a pond, two miles from junction 4A of the M3. £160,000 (freehold) [#S2139]
A blend of beech, oak, western hemlock and Scots pine close to the banks of the Basingstoke Canal, 40 miles southwest of London.
GU51 3GL (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186
- Roadside gate: SU 833 536
- Centre of wood: SU 834 535
Located a short distance from the towns of Farnborough, Fleet and Aldershot, Norris Wood is part of a larger forested area in semi-rural Hampshire. The woodland benefits from private access through a locked gate.
Situated on undulating sandy loamy soils, the mature canopy comprises oak, beech, sweet chestnut, ash, birch, Scots pine and western hemlock – the latter produces a higher-grade softwood timber sometimes used for interior woodwork and often known as an alternative midway between Douglas fir and spruce. Within the shrub layer you will discover younger examples of birch, beech, oak and the occasional willow. This are also clumps of lush holly and hazel coppice to be found. The ground layer is a blend of foxglove, honeysuckle, eagle fern, rush, heather, blackberry and grasses, all relished by pollinators.
There is a pond close to the southwestern boundary which could make an enjoyable setting for some bushcraft activities. A more secluded spot in the southeast corner could make a good area to camp if cleared. Interestingly, there are historic relics of the military training ground that once occupied the area. A tarmac cycle path runs through the wood close to the northwest boundary that leads to the business park beyond.
A rich wildlife mammal population includes deer (muntjac, fallow and roe), badger, hare, fox and wood mouse while feathered visitors include owl, warbler, skylark, green woodpecker and many chirping songsters.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly camp on occasion with the family, applying a strict ‘leave no trace’ rule. Some firewood would also be gathered for my log burner. Perhaps some trail camaras mounted to trees would capture some of the roaming wildlife.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From junction 14a of the M3, head south along the A327 towards Farnborough also following the signs shortly after of the Aerodrome.
- Turn left after 0.6 miles and continue towards Farnborough and following the aircraft symbol on the signs along the A327.
- Pass over the railway line bridge and after 230 metres take the first left towards Cody Tech Park and continue along the A327 towards Farnborough and following the aircraft symbol on the signs.
- Continue 180 metres to the next roundabout with BMW Group UK on the left and take the third exit turning back on yourself to take the turning towards Southwood Woodland along Kennels Lane.
- Continue along Kennels Lane through woodland passing the entrance to Kennels Lane, Home of Fleet Spurs Football Club.
- After 0.7 miles take the second exit at the roundabout towards Fleet and Aldershot (A323) onto Ively Road.
- Continue along Ively Road for 0.5 miles taking first exit at the roundabout at the new housing development called Hartland Village, towards Fleet, Aldershot and Church Crookham (A323).
- After 420 metres, take the first right at the next roundabout (signposted as a dead end) onto Old Ively Road with a brown signpost for Cody Sports and Social Cub, Run-About, Laser-Run and Busy Bees.
- The access to the woodland is just off the roundabout set back on the right with post and rail fencing, five bar gate with our Woods4Sale sign attached and an orange X locator (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a safe place not obstructing any traffic nor access.
- Climb over the gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings) and you have arrived within the woodland.
- The southeast boundary is for the most part the high security fence with tarmac track beyond along with a short wooden post with pink paint.
- The northeast boundary is for the most part the high security fence with tarmac track beyond.
- The southwestern boundary is setback a short distance from the canal and tow path, indicated by blue paint on occasional trees.
- The northwestern boundary is the edge of the woodland with the road, roundabout and a short section of highway barrier beyond.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
A Hampshire Ramblers Association track runs through the woodland which was granted some years ago but this is not believed to be used as no track exists along the proposed route.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
The property is subject to an overage (clawback) agreement until 2054, whereby 50% of any uplift in the value of the property resulting from the grant of planning permission will be payable to the MoD.
Third Party Rights
There is a right for Esso to access the land with prior permission to maintain and install a fuel pipe approximately between BC.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Please confirm how you will be funding the purchase and that you have cleared funds available
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.