Longbow and Arrow Wood, near Maidstone, Kent. 7.12 acres of stunning Ancient Woodland in a rural locale. Two miles from junction 8 of the M20. £92,000 (freehold) [#S1939]
A wonderful mature oak, hornbeam and ash woodland in the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with recreational opportunities, 40 miles from London.
ME14 3LY (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Point (A): ///tripling.excuse.implanted
Point (H): ///corrupted.general.torches
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188
- Roadside gate (point A): TQ 818 560
- Centre of wood: TQ 823 555
Longbow and Arrow Wood is part of a wider gated forested area, 4 miles east of Maidstone in semi-rural Kent. Access is along two tracks from either the eastern or western side of the woodland.
Situated over gentle south facing loamy clay soil, the mature canopy is a blend of oak standards with ash, aspen, birch and hornbeam. Some of the oaks are of great quality and could serve a new owner well for a range of uses; a bench, planks and fuel all come to mind. Within the lush shrub layer, you will discover prolific hazel coppice, field maple, hawthorn and a good amount of natural successors of ash and birch. Come warmer months, the ground layer becomes awash with Ancient Woodland indicators including bluebell, wood anemone, celandine, primrose, wild rose and honeysuckle, all welcomed by our vital pollinators.
Towards the middle of the woodland is a lovely mowed clearing with a handy place to store tools if required. This area has a very private feel to it and would certainly make a wonderful place to camp under the stars.
A range of feathered visitors include woodlark, nightingale, kestrel, little owl and numerous harmonious songsters. Mammals include roe deer, hare, badger, fox as well as common pipistrelle bats.
If It Were Mine
Firstly, I’d spend a couple of nights here camping and getting to know this magical place. I would then think about clearing a few footpaths through the more lush areas of woodland, these would make a nice nature trail for the kids. Some fuel for the hearth would be on the jobs list. Boxes mounted on trees would hopefully further enhance the birdlife.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From junction 8 of the M20, continue west along the A20 towards Bearsted passing Bearsted car wash on the right.
- After 0.7 miles turn right at the bus stop and postbox on the left into a narrow road called Crismill Road. If you pass ‘Potted Garden’ nursery then you have gone too far.
- Continue along Crismill Road over the red brick railway bridge and under the M20, and bear left at the other side onto Crismill Lane.
- Continue along Crismill Lane bearing right where the tarmac finishes and continue straight along the stone track.
- After 360 metres you will come to a locked steel gate on the right (point A on the plan below) with a residential sign saying ‘Home Court’ ahead.
- Please park in a suitable place not obstructing any entrances or tracks.
- Climb the gate (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewing) and continue along the track crossing over a stream (point B) and a gate on the right with ‘Beware of bull’ sign attached (point C) and then also passing a pond on the right. Note: we understand the current owner tends to access the woodland along CJ.
- After 930 metres you will arrive at another locked steel gate (point D), climb over the gate and continue south along the track.
- After 290 metres turn left at the T junction (point E) just after the green shed, also on the left.
- Continue along the track for 90 metres and you will arrive at a steel gate ahead of you (point F), turn right and continue south along the grassy track.
- After 105 metres you will arrive at another gate on the right (point G), with one of our Woods4Sale sign on a tree just beyond.
- Climb over the gate and continue along the grassy track.
- After 185 metres you will arrive at a gate with a second gate just beyond (point H).
- Climb over the first and then the second gate and the woodland is to the right of the track, indicated by a Woods4Sale sign and blue X locator above it on a tree.
- The northern boundary is a stock fence.
- The eastern boundary is the middle of the public footpath, just beyond the stock fence.
- The southern boundary is the northern edge of the track.
- The western boundary is the stock fence with fields beyond.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and all purposes over the route ABCDEFGHJ and CJ.
- The eastern boundary path is also a public footpath, but there is no public access inside Arrow and Longbow Wood.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Tree Preservation Order
There is a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) in the woodland, this simply means that the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained prior to any felling of trees.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Please confirm how you will be funding the purchase and that you have cleared funds available
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.