Adze Wood, near Northchapel, West Sussex. 1.53 acres of marvellous mixed broadleaves with many recreational prospects. £31,000 (freehold) [#S1936]
A peaceful Ancient Woodland with sweet chestnut, oak and hazel and far reaching rural views, 5 miles east of Haslemere.
GU28 9EH (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Entrance (point A): ///aimlessly.grocers.ponies
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186
- Roadside gate (point A): SU 951 298
- Centre of wood: SU 947 303
Located in rural West Sussex, Adze Wood is situated at the northern edge of a larger gated woodland and represents a fine example of amenity woodland, whilst providing the opportunity for occasional fuel extraction if desired. North of Northchapel village, yet only 40 miles from London, access is through a locked gate and along a track.
Situated on level loamy clay soils, the lofty canopy comprises majestic oak standards, sweet chestnut coppice, cherry, beech and birch. A magnificent veteran oak to the south is quite a sight to behold. Within the woodland's lush shrub layer, you will discover holly, hawthorn and hazel; a new custodian could certainly utilise the hazel for bushcraft. A patchwork of Ancient Woodland indicators such as bluebell, wood anemone, primrose and dog’s mercury enhance the ground layer during warmer months.
Countryside views are enjoyed from the northern boundary - to take advantage of this I would put a hammock here, enjoying the tranquillity while observing woodland wildlife. A tyre swing in place towards the west is great fun for the young and young at heart!
A variety of feathered visitors such as buzzard, treecreeper, woodpecker, long eared owl and various harmonious songsters revel in the serenity here. Woodland mammals including deer (roe and fallow), badger, hare and fox have all been noticed.
If It Were Mine
I would consider using some of the large holly stems for logs; once seasoned they burn for a long time due to the density of its wood. Camping under canvas would certainly feature in my plans with perhaps some storytelling under a large oak.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- The woodland is situated next to the village of Northchapel in West Sussex.
- Head north along the A283 from Northchapel village and after approximately 100 metres there is a turning to some fields with double steel gates set back on the left (point A on the plan below).
- Please park carefully so access through the gates is not blocked and climb the gates. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Once over the first gates you will find a second gate. Please climb this one also and then continue up the track with grassland on either side of you until you enter the woodland (point B).
- Continue along the track passing a sharp turning on the left and then bear left at the junction (point C) following the white arrows.
- Continue along the track bearing right shortly after (point D) following the white arrows down the track and passing another turning on the left (point E).
- After 780 metres you will arrive at bottom of the track and the woodland ahead (point F) as the track forks, indicated by green and black paint on a wooden post and our Wood4Sale sign beyond.
- The northern boundary is the fence between the woodland and field.
- The east boundary is indicated by unpainted wooden posts.
- The south boundary HFG is the inside edge of the stone track indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts that maybe offset by a short distance.
- The west boundary is the inside edge of the stone track indicated by white paint on occasional wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for Adze Wood for all times and all purposes over the route ABCDEFG and FH.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.