Star Wood, near New Alresford, Hampshire. 4.61 acres of mature broadleaves with countryside views, 11 miles from Winchester. £69,500 (freehold) [#S1793]
A mixed woodland containing beech, oak and hazel coppice with recreational possibilities, 11 miles from junction 9 of the M3.
SO24 9SG (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 185
- Roadside gate: SU 626 335
- Centre of wood: SU 625 328
Forming part of a tranquil wider woodland, Star Wood is three and a half miles from the market town of New Alresford in rural Hampshire and is in part Ancient Woodland. A track leads from the locked roadside gate to the woodland boundary.
Situated on gently sloping loam over chalk soils, the mature canopy consists of beech, oak, ash, cherry, birch, sycamore and field maple. Many of the beech stems are of an excellent standard and a new custodian could make use of the Forestry Commission thinning licence to cut a stem or two for an array of uses including timber for bushcraft, smoking chips and logs. In the shrub layer below you will discover verdant hazel coppice to the west with holly, hawthorn scattered throughout. Warmer months see a colourful ground layer of bluebells, wood anemones, primrose and dog’s mercury.
Central and eastern areas of the woodland have a lovely open understorey, offering scope for fun adventures and overnight stays. A large historic chalk pit towards the eastern boundary could serve as a place for responsible campfires and BBQs with friends and family.
Woodland mammals that have been spotted in the area include muntjac, roe and fallow deer, wood mouse, badger and fox. Treecreeper, owl, woodpecker, greenfinch and an assortment of melodious songsters make up the feathered populace in this peaceful location.
If It Were Mine
Lying deadwood beech would make a good stock of fuel for the hearth, possibly some of the larger hazel too. A belle tent for occasional over nights would look good. A rope swing would certainly work well, swooping out and over the deep chalk pit to the east - great for kids and grown-up kids alike!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Winchester, travel east along the A31 towards Alton and Alresford.
- After 6 miles take the second exit off the roundabout towards Alton and Ropley along the A31, passing a solar farm on the left.
- After 3 miles take the second exit off the roundabout and continue along the A31 towards Alton through Ropley, passing a Shell garage and the Thai Lounge restaurant.
- Just before leaving Ropley, turn left at the crossroads (look out for a blue grit bin), signposted towards Bighton.
- Continue along Bighton Hill passing over the railway bridge with industrial units just after and passing Crowhurst Kennels.
- After 1 mile along the narrow lane, you will arrive at a steel gate with rail fencing either side and a Wood4Sale sign with an orange X above (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place neither obstructing the entrance nor through traffic.
- Walk through the gap in the fence at the side of the gate and continue up the track.
- After 110 metres where the track forks to the right (point B), continue straight ahead along the track and up the gentle slope.
- After 370 metres bear left and continue through the woodland.
- After 160 metres you will arrive at a locked wooden five bar gate (point C) with post and rail fencing either side and another Woods4Sale sign attached.
- Please climb over the gate and continue down through the woodland, keeping right at the junction shortly after.
- After 155 metres you will arrive at Star Wood on the left, indicated by green and blue paint on a wooden post (D).
- The northern boundary is indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The eastern boundary is the edge of the woodland indicated by a dilapidated barbed wire fence with farmland beyond.
- The western boundary is the outside edge of the track indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance.
- The southern boundary is indicated by red paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCD.
- A right of way is reserved over DE and GF for the benefit of woodland to the south and beyond.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.