Comet Wood near New Alresford, Hampshire. 4.11 acres of mature broadleaf woodland with rural views, 11 miles from Winchester. £62,000 (freehold) [#S1784]
A superb mixed woodland comprising beech and oak with far reaching views and recreational opportunities, 11 miles from junction 9 of the M3.
SO24 9SG (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 185
- Roadside gate: SU 626 335
- Centre of wood: SU 625 327
Comet Wood forms part of a wider woodland area in serene rural Hampshire, three and a half miles from the delightful market town of New Alresford. Access is along an unsurfaced track.
Located among lightly sloping chalky lime soils, the tall canopy contains majestic beech, oak, ash, cherry, field maple, sycamore and birch. A number of the beech are of exceptional quality, a new custodian could certainly consider choosing a stem for a home woodcraft project, making use of the Forestry Commission thinning licence. Within the sublayer below you will discover lush hazel coppice, holly, hawthorn and a good number of younger ash, providing the prospect of producing a modest amount of fuel. During warmer months the ground layer is brimming with colourful ground flora including bluebell, wood anemones and dog’s mercury.
Towards both the western and southern areas of the wood are historic hollows, once likely created by the extraction of chalk for the local area and beyond, great for building dens! Any number of the open spaces would make marvellous camping spots. Rural views are enjoyed from the eastern and southern boundaries.
Treecreeper, owl, woodpecker, greenfinch and an array of harmonious songsters make up the feathered population in this tranquil location. Woodland mammals include muntjac, roe and fallow deer, wood mouse, badger and fox.
If It Were Mine
The hazel coppice is an excellent bushcraft material, it can be used to make thumb sticks for walking – an ideal task for the novice woodsperson. Family camping would definitely take place towards the eastern side of the woodland.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Winchester, travel east along the A31 towards Alton and Alresford.
- After 6 miles take the second exit off the roundabout towards Alton and Ropley along the A31, passing a solar farm on the left.
- After 3 miles take the second exit off the roundabout and continue along the A31 towards Alton through Ropley, passing a Shell garage and the Thai Lounge restaurant.
- Just before leaving Ropley, turn left at the crossroads (look out for a blue grit bin), signposted towards Bighton.
- Continue along Bighton Hill passing over the railway bridge with industrial units just after and passing Crowhurst Kennels.
- After 1 mile along the narrow lane, you will arrive at a steel gate with rail fencing either side and a Wood4Sale sign with an orange X above (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place neither obstructing the entrance nor through traffic.
- Walk through the gap in the fence at the side of the gate and continue up the track.
- After 110 metres where the track forks to the right (point B), continue straight ahead along the track and up the gentle slope.
- After 370 metres bear left and continue through the woodland.
- After 160 metres you will arrive at a locked wooden five bar gate (point C) with post and rail fencing either side and another Woods4Sale sign attached.
- Please climb over the gate and continue down through the woodland, keeping right at the junction shortly after.
- After 200 metres you will arrive at Comet Wood on the left, indicated by green and red paint on a wooden post (D).
- The northern boundary is indicated by red paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The southwestern boundary DE is the outside edge of the track indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts and trees that maybe offset by a short distance.
- The southeastern boundary EF is the occasionally dilapidated stock and barb wire fence with farmland beyond.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCD.
- A right of way is reserved over DE and FE for the benefit of woodland to the south.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.