Hollows Wood, near Maidstone, Kent. 7.11 acres of magnificent Ancient Woodland with vehicular access. Two miles from junction 8 of the M20. £78,000 (freehold) [#S1713]
A delightful mature oak, hornbeam and ash woodland in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with recreation possibilities, 40 miles from London.
ME14 3LY (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Entrance (point A): ///tripling.excuse.implanted
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188
- Roadside gate: TQ 819 561
- Centre of wood: TQ 828 553
Hollows Wood is situated amongst a tranquil gated Ancient Woodland, 4 miles east of Maidstone in semi-rural Kent.
Located on mostly level loamy clay soils, the canopy towards the north comprises some well-established hazel and hornbeam coppice along with a number of taller birch, ash and oak standards. The southern and eastern areas of the woodland consist of a mature canopy of majestic oak, hornbeam and ash with a number of open spots that would make wonderful camping areas. During warmer months, the ground layer is a delight to behold with swathes of bluebells, wood anemone, celandine, primrose, wild strawberry and wild rose, all relished by our essential pollinators.
As its name suggests, the woodland has gentle undulations and hollows in the south, some of which have become seasonal ponds over time. In addition, far reaching rural views are enjoyed from the eastern boundary, this would make a great place to hang a hammock with a discreet campfire.
Countless mammals are known to the area; roe deer, hare, badger, fox and common pipistrelle bats have all been spotted. A variety of bird life include nightingale, woodlark, kestrel, little owl and a richness of harmonious songsters flit through the canopy.
Hollows Wood has vehicular access navigable year-round with a 2WD in drier months and a light 4WD in all but the wettest weather.
If It Were Mine
Camping would most definitely feature here, relaxing under the stars. Some hornbeam logs would make excellent fuel for the hearth. I would consider installing a few bird boxes and perhaps clearing a few paths to the north.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From junction 8 of the M20, continue west along the A20 towards Bearsted passing Bearsted car wash on the right.
- After 0.7 miles turn right at the bus stops and post-box on the left into a narrow road called Crismill Road. If you pass ‘Potted Garden’ nursery then you have gone too far.
- Continue along Crismill Road over the red brick railway bridge and under the M20, and bear left at the other side onto Crismill Lane.
- Continue along Crismill Lane bearing right where the tarmac finishes and continue straight along the track.
- After 360 metres you will come to a locked steel gate on the right (point A on the plan below) with a residential sign saying ‘Home Court’ ahead. Please park in a suitable place not obstructing any entrances or tracks. Climb the gate (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewing).
- Continue along the track crossing over a stream (point B) following the occasional blue arrows on trees and passing a pond on the right.
- After 930 metres you will arrive at another locked steel gate (point C), climb over the gate and continue along the track.
- After 290 metres turn left at the T junction (point D) just after the green shed, also on the left.
- Continue along the track for 90 metres and you will arrive at a steel gate ahead of you (point E), turn right and continue south.
- After 105 metres you will arrive at the woodland to the left (point F), indicated by our Woods4Sale sign on a tree just beyond.
- The northern boundary is the inside edge of the track, indicated by yellow and red paint on occasional wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance.
- The eastern boundary is the centre of the stream with fields beyond.
- The south eastern boundary is indicated by occasional dots of red paint on trees.
- The southern boundary is setback approximately 50 metres from the railway line, indicated by occasional dots of yellow and red paint on trees.
- The west boundary is the stock fence on the outside edge of the track.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and all purposes over the route ABCDEFG.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Tree Preservation Order
The woodland is designated as an Ancient Woodland and is subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). This does not prevent appropriate tree felling. However, the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained in advance.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.