Dancers Wood, near New Alresford, Hampshire. 3.48 acres of mature broadleaf woodland with vehicular access, 11 miles from Winchester. £42,000 (freehold) [#S1712]
A strong canopy of beech, oak and ash with recreational possibilities, 11 miles from junction 9 of the M3.
SO24 9SG (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 185
- Roadside gate: SU 626 335
- Centre of wood: SU 624 330
Part of a wider Ancient Woodland area, Dancers Wood is found in peaceful rural Hampshire, three and a half miles from the market town of New Alresford.
Located mainly on gently sloping south facing chalky and loamy soils, the mostly mature canopy includes majestic oak, ash, beech, sycamore and birch. Below, within the shrub layer there is holly, hawthorn, a good amount of regeneration (ash, beech, sycamore) and hazel coppice; hazel coppice has multiple uses including being a material of choice for those who enjoy a bit of bushcraft. A new owner could certainly use the Forestry Commission thinning licence in place to yield some timber for a fuel stock. During warmer months the ground layer becomes a colourful delight with patches of bluebell, primrose, fox glove and wood anemone.
Far reaching farmland views are enjoyed from the western boundary, making a nice spot for occasional camping. Towards the north is an area of recently planted hazel, hornbeam and beech which could be a great focus for younger foresters to nurture and observe their development as they grow.
A range of feathered visitors such as treecreeper, owl, woodpecker, greenfinch and many warbling songsters enjoy the tranquillity found here. Woodland mammals include muntjac, roe and fallow deer, wood mouse, badger and fox.
Dancers Wood is navigable throughout the year with a light 4WD and a 2WD car in drier months and offers scope for a family keen on the natural world.
If It Were Mine
An oak could be selected to perhaps make a kitchen tabletop from a milled stem on site, with some useful logs from the excess. Camping and star gazing would feature here along with an occasional BBQ from time to time.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Winchester, travel east along the A31 towards Alton and Alresford.
- After 6 miles take the second exit off the roundabout towards Alton and Ropley along the A31, passing a solar farm on the left.
- After 3 miles take the second exit off the roundabout and continue along the A31 towards Alton through Ropley, passing a Shell garage and the Thai Lounge restaurant.
- Just before leaving Ropley, turn left at the crossroads (look out for a blue grit bin), signposted towards Bighton.
- Continue along Bighton Hill passing over the railway bridge with industrial units just after and passing Crowhurst Kennels.
- After 1 mile along the narrow lane, you will arrive at a steel gate with rail fencing either side and a Wood4Sale sign with an orange X above (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place neither obstructing the entrance nor through traffic.
- Walk through the gap in the fence at the side of the gate and continue up the track.
- After 110 metres where the track forks to the right (point B), continue straight ahead along the track and up the gentle slope.
- After 370 metres the track bears left and the woodland is ahead of you (point C), indicated by green paint on wooden posts.
- The northern boundary EF is the top of an earth bank indicated by yellow paint on occasional trees and wooden post.
- The northwest and northeast boundary FCD is indicated by green paint on occasional trees and wooden posts, some of which are along the inside edge of the track may be offset by a short distance.
- The southern boundary is indicated by red paint on occasional wooden post and trees.
- The southwestern boundary is a dilapidated rusty barbed wire fence with farmland beyond.
- The shooting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
- The hunting rights are reserved to a third party who are permitted to access this woodland and the wider woodland to hunt up to 6 times between 1st September and 31st March.
The mineral rights below 200 feet are reserved to a previous owner however we believe these are unlikely to ever be exercised.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCD.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.