Millers Wood, near Northchapel, West Sussex. 2.8 acres of Ancient broadleaf woodland with vehicular access. £42,000 (freehold) [#M1702]
A stunning ancient oak woodland with glades of bluebell in the heart of the South Downs National Park, with excellent car access in a secluded location.
GU28 9EH (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186
- Roadside gate: SU 951 299
- Centre of wood: SU 945 302
Millers Wood is a parcel of Ancient Woodland in West Sussex. The rural hamlet of Northchapel is a mile south, with Chichester and Guildford around 35 minutes by car.
Occupying a gentle gradient with a sheltered northerly aspect, this woodland is packed with mature oak and ash trees of high quality.
The boundaries of the wood are defined by a ride to the west and hard stoned access tracks to the north and southeast, resulting in fantastic accessibility. The soils are fertile, predominantly slightly acidic clays - excellent for growing fine oak. To the south, the ground flora indicates the soils are more lime rich with the straight stems of tall ash trees towering overhead.
The abundance of bluebells in the spring set the tone for a glorious display of colour through the summer with a wealth of wildflowers. The understorey is a classic assemblage of mature holly and hazel shrubs. Good amounts of deadwood enhance the wood’s biodiversity. A substantial bird population inhabits this Ancient Woodland - chiffchaff, woodpeckers and tawny owls to name a few.
There are also some interesting historic earthworks to the north possibly marking a former boundary. This shaded spot would make a lovely private camping area.
If It Were Mine
Millers Wood has a natural and wild feel so there is potential to lightly thin the wood to provide light to emerging tree saplings. Many of the mature trees are of particularly high quality and may be suitable for milling. Initially, I would maintain the woodland rides and sit back and appreciate the natural surroundings.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head north along the A283 from Northchapel village and after approximately 100 metres there is a turning to some fields on the left with a Woods4Sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable place not blocking access and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Continue on foot along the track for 350 metres passing a turning to your left (point B) until you reach a crossroads (point C).
- Take the left turn and continue for 430 metres, bearing right at the two turnings (points D and E).
- Take the left hand turn at the junction (point F) and continue for 150 metres.
- Take the right turn (G), Millers wood is to your left.
- The northern and northeast boundary is the north edge of the track marked by wooden posts with white paint.
- The southeast boundary is the northern edge of the track marked by wooden posts with green paint.
- The western boundary is marked by wooden posts with yellow paint.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCDEFGI.
- A right of way is reserved over GH for the benefit of woodland beyond.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the wood.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.