Basset Wood, near Winchester, Hampshire. 8.13 acres of magnificent broadleaf woodland with a pond, 11 miles from Winchester. £99,000 (freehold) [#S1669]
Mature mixed oak, beech and ash woodland with vehicular access located at the end of a track, 11 miles from junction 9 of the M3.
SO24 9SG (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 185
- Roadside gate: SU 626 335
- Centre of wood: SU 623 331
Situated in rural Hampshire, Basset Wood lies 3.5 miles from the pretty market town of New Alresford and is part of a wider Ancient Woodland. Not far from Winchester, this peaceful rural woodland is a superb spot for family and friends to learn about the natural world.
Located largely on level chalky lime soil with gentle undulations, the mature canopy includes majestic oak (many are of superb quality), beech, ash, sycamore and birch. In the shrub layer below, you will find lush hawthorn, holly, younger ash and hazel coppice - a very useful material for bushcraft. There is a Forestry Commission thinning licence in place which could be used for yielding an oak for woodcraft. During spring and summer, ribbons of bluebell (an Ancient Woodland indicator), primrose and foxglove spruce up the ground layer producing a lovely woodland scene.
Towards the eastern boundary is a seasonal pond, creating a thriving habitat for woodland insects. In addition, far reaching rural views are enjoyed looking out from much of the southern edge.
A variety of feathered visitors known to enjoy the serenity found here include treecreeper, owl, woodpecker, greenfinch and many harmonious songsters. Woodland mammal locals include muntjac, roe and fallow deer, wood mouse, badger and fox.
Basset Wood is accessible year-round with a light 4WD and a 2WD car in drier months and offers vast scope for a weekend woodsman keen to hone their skills.
If It Were Mine
Forest bathing would be perfect here; one can disappear amongst the stems and put life strains to one side absorbing what nature has to offer. I would consider an oak or beech stem to mill on site both for fuel and wood craft projects. A discreet BBQ location would also be cleared and of course enjoyed for occasional overnight stays.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Winchester, travel east along the A31 towards Alton and Alresford.
- After 6 miles take the second exit off the roundabout towards Alton and Ropley along the A31, passing a solar farm on the left.
- After 3 miles take the second exit off the roundabout and continue along the A31 towards Alton through Ropley, passing a Shell garage and the Thai Lounge restaurant.
- Just before leaving Ropley, turn left at the crossroads (look out for a blue grit bin), signposted towards Bighton.
- Continue along Bighton Hill passing over the railway bridge with industrial units just after and passing Crowhurst Kennels.
- After 1 mile along the narrow lane, you will arrive at a recent steel gate with rail fencing either side and a Wood4Sale sign with an orange X above (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place neither obstructing the entrance nor through traffic.
- Walk through the gap in the fence at the side of the gate and continue up the track.
- After 110 metres take the right-hand track at the fork (point B) and follow the white arrows on trees up the track.
- After 350 metres you will arrive at the start of the woodland indicated by red paint on wooden post and trees (point C).
- The north boundary is indicated by red paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The east boundary is in part is the inside edge of the track, and also indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts.
- The south boundary is the top of an earth bank, indicated in part by yellow paint on occasional trees and wooden posts with further woodland beyond, an agricultural fence farmland beyond.
- The western boundary is the top of an earth bank with a strip of further trees, fence and paddocks beyond.
- The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
- The hunting rights are reserved to a third party who are permitted to access this woodland and the wider woodland to hunt up to 6 times between 1st September and 31st March.
The mineral rights below 200 feet are reserved to a previous owner however we believe these are unlikely to ever be exercised.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route ABC and BDE.
- There is a public footpath running north to south through the woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.