The Squirrels, near Guildford, Surrey. 2.88 acres of outstanding conifer woodland in a semi-rural location, 35 miles from London. £42,000 (freehold) [#S1664]
Wonderful Scots pine with numerous woodland recreation possibilities. Good vehicular access, situated at the end of a private track, 8 miles from junction 4 of the M3.
GU3 2DX (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Roadside gate: ///mull.cashiers.trash
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186
- Roadside gate: SU 935 531
- Centre of wood: SU 940 534
The Squirrels is a lovely woodland situated at the end of a private track within a larger gated woodland area known as Leapingbar Copse, 6 miles northwest of Guildford in semi-rural Surrey.
Sitting within level fertile sandy loams, the mature canopy predominantly comprises majestic Scots pine, one of three native British conifers. This species is known for its good timber quality, useful for joinery and even veneer. Many of the stems are of superb quality. The shrub layer beneath is made up of birch, bushy holly and patches of colourful rhododendron. A new owner could certainly yield some birch and possibly a couple of the Scots pine for a wood burner, using the Forestry Commission thinning licence currently in place.
As well as a number of open areas (ideal for bush craft perhaps), occasional patches of bluebells, primrose and bracken cover the ground layer, creating a delightful scene during springtime. Running along the northeast boundary is an attractive earth bund, giving a nice sense of privacy to this wood. In addition, the relics of a historical military track (from nearby Pirbright Barracks) fringes just inside the northwest boundary, this was most likely used for hauling heavy artillery.
Woodland visitors include deer (muntjac and roe), field mouse, rabbit, badger, fox, little owl, redpoll, woodpecker and many tuneful songbirds.
The Squirrels is ideal for a weekend woodsman and benefits from a recently upgraded hard track suitable for a two-wheel drive car.
There is an Article 4 direction on the wider woodland including The Squirrels which means that permitted development rights which normally apply for any improvement to, or installation of, gates/fences/walls have been removed and full planning permission should be sought.
If It Were Mine
This wonderful place would make a perfect location where I could practice and enhance my developing bush craft skills. I would also select a Scots pine or two to fell then season into logs for my burner at home. Some occasional camping with friends and family would also happen around a small fire.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
This video is of the larger woodland as a whole and is not representative of any specific part of the woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Guildford travel west along the A323 towards Aldershot, passing The Cricketers pub and Silvesters Fairlands Garage.
- After 3 miles turn right at the forked junction with a grass island and bus stop in the middle of it, onto Cobbett Hill Road.
- Continue along Cobbett Hill Road passing a large gated residential entrance set back on the left and a number of large satellite dishes on the right.
- After 0.8 miles turn left onto the A324 towards Ash and Aldershot.
- Continue along the A324 for 0.3 miles to the roundabout, taking the first left for Henley Business Park.
- Almost immediately after the roundabout you will see a steel gate and our Woods4Sale sign on a tree (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place neither obstructing the gate nor through traffic (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings).
- Continue along the track through the Scots pine woodland passing two log bridges on the right.
- After 495 metres, pass the turning on the right (point B) and continue for a further 60 metres and The Squirrels is on the left indicated by the wooden name sign on a tree (point C).
- The northeast boundary is indicated by the dilapidated fence.
- The southwest boundary is indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by the fence.
- The south boundary is indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts and trees on the outside edge of the ride.
The sporting rights are owned and include in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route ABC.
- A right of way is reserved over the route CD for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.