Rill Wood, Ockley, near Dorking, Surrey. 0.86 acres of native broadleaved woodland within a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). £18,500 (freehold) [#S1647]
A peaceful Ancient Woodland in a rural location with large oak and ash. Good roadside access with numerous recreational opportunities.
RH5 5NW (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Roadside edge: ///salaried.sits.prevents
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 187
- Roadside access: TQ 158 387
- Centre of wood: TQ 158 388
Rill Wood is part of a wider woodland designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) situated in rural Surrey near Guildford.
Located on very gentle slopes with fertile silt, loamy clay soils, ash dominate this Ancient Woodland (meaning that it has been continuously wooded since the 1600s). The mature canopy also comprises majestic oak and birch, with a lush scrub layer of hawthorn, hazel coppice, field maple, and holly. Some of the larger ash - well suited to this site - are of good quality yielding a potential for some quality timber.
Wildlife is characteristically rich as expected of a SSSI woodland; fauna and birdlife include roe deer, pygmy shrew, green woodpecker, the mandarin duck and sparrowhawk. A multitude of tuneful songsters can also be heard amongst this peaceful copse.
There is lapsed permitted development for a woodland hut to be constructed for forestry purposes, such as tool and timber storage. There is the possibility of permission being granted again for an enthusiastic new owner.
Rill Wood benefits from its own private vehicular access via a soft track direct from the quiet council road.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly look into a thinning program to encourage natural regeneration of ash. Rill Wood is currently not gated; however, this could easily be achieved to further increase the sense of privacy of this charming woodland.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Horsham, continue north along the A24 to the Clark’s Green Roundabout (about 4½ miles north of Horsham).
- From this roundabout stay on the A24 for 500 metres and take the first turning left onto the B2126 Coles Lane, signed for Ockley.
- Drive down this road for 800 metres, passing under the railway at Ockley Station, and then turn left into Weare Street.
- Continue down Weare Street for 1.2 miles, past the pond on your left, until you see a house on your right called ‘Midways’.
- 40 metres past this house you will see our Woods4Sale sign on a tree, the woodland is behind the sign (point A on the plan below).
- The northwest boundary is indicated by yellow paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The east boundary is indicated by a high electric fence with residential garden beyond.
- The southeast boundary is the tree line along the road edge.
- The southwest boundary is an earth bund.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Rill Wood is part of a wider woodland designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) situated in rural West Sussex.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.