Adze Wood, near Northchapel, West Sussex. 1.53 acres of mature oak and sweet chestnut with good vehicular access. £25,000 (freehold) [#S1628]
A tranquil Ancient Woodland containing mixed broadleaves with rural views and many recreational opportunities in West Sussex.
GU28 9EH (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Roadside gate: ///huddling.sobered.verve
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186
- Roadside gate: SU 951 299
- Centre of wood: SU 947 303
Adze Wood rests north of the village of Northchapel in rural West Sussex, approximately an hour and twenty minutes from London and is located within a serene wider wooded area.
Situated on level loam over clay soil, the canopy largely consists of majestic oak standards (most of which are of an exceptional quality), lofty sweet chestnut coppice and birch. The lush shrub below encompasses holly and hazel; a new owner could certainly utilise the hazel as this is a common species used in bushcraft. Ribbons of bluebell, wood anemone, primrose and dog’s mercury embellish the ground layer, looking particularly lovely come spring.
Bucolic views are enjoyed looking north from the woodland; I would consider making a space here to camp and BBQ with family and friends, soaking up the views during the warmer months.
Woodland mammals including deer (roe and fallow), badger, hare and fox have all been spotted. A variety of feathered guests such as buzzard, treecreeper, woodpecker, long eared owl and various harmonious songsters revel in the tranquillity offered here.
Adze Wood benefits from good vehicular access along a hard track suitable for a 2WD vehicle which forks and extends in both directions along its southern boundary, convenient for light woodland maintenance.
If It Were Mine
Yielding some sweet chestnut logs for my open fire at home would be a priority. It would be pretty magical to hang a hammock from some sturdy trees somewhere along the north, looking out to rural West Sussex on a summer’s eve. Spotting wildlife and den making with the children would be a lovely way to make memories.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- The woodland is situated next to the village of Northchapel in West Sussex.
- Head north along the A283 from Northchapel village and after approximately 100 metres there is a turning to some fields set back on the left with a Woods4Sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park carefully so access through the gates is not blocked and climb the gates. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Once over the first gates you will find a second gate on your right. Please climb this one also and then continue up the track with grassland on either side of you until you enter the woodland (point B).
- Continue along the track passing a sharp turning on the left and then bear left at the junction (point C) following the white arrows.
- Continue along the track bearing right shortly after (point D) following the white arrows down the track and passing another turning on the left (point E).
- After 780 metres you will arrive at bottom of the track and the woodland ahead (point F) as the track forks, indicated by green and black paint on a wooden post and our Wood4Sale sign beyond.
- The northern boundary is the fence between the woodland and field.
- The east boundary is indicated by unpainted wooden posts.
- The south boundary is the inside edge of the stone track indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts that maybe offset by a short distance.
- The west boundary is the inside edge of the stone track indicated by white paint on occasional wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for Adze Wood for all times and all purposes over the route ABCDEFG and FH.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.