Copygrove Copse, near Northchapel, West Sussex. 4.18 acres of ancient woodland with mixed broadleaves and good access. £55,500 (freehold) [#S1588]
A serene oak and sweet chestnut woodland in a rural location with vehicular access and recreation opportunities in West Sussex.
GU28 9EH (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Roadside gate: ///huddling.sobered.verve
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186
- Roadside gate: SU 951 299
- Centre of wood: SU 948 298
Situated within a peaceful wider Ancient Woodland, Copygrove Copse lies just north of the village of Northchapel in rural West Sussex, roughly an hour and twenty minutes from London.
Located on gentle south facing slopes amongst fertile loamy clay soils, the canopy mostly consists of majestic oak standards (some of the stems are of an excellent quality), cherry, ash and tall sweet chestnut coppice. The shrub layer underneath comprises lush holly, hazel coppice, birch and yew. A new owner could select some of the sweet chestnut for fuel, as well as rail fencing. Patches of bluebell, primrose, fern, bracken and blackberry enhance the ground layer throughout the seasons.
Rural views are enjoyed looking east, south and west from the woodland; these would make ideal locations to hang up a hammock or two between trees during the warmer months. There are also several open areas that would make good spots for woodcraft and occasional camping, including a ride along part of the eastern boundary.
A range of feathered guests such as buzzard, treecreeper, woodpecker, long eared owl and various acoustic songbirds enjoy the tranquillity of this place. Woodland mammals including deer (roe and fallow), badger, hare and fox have all been sighted.
Copygrove Copse benefits from good vehicular access along a hard track suitable for a 2WD vehicle. This also extends to the southern end of the woodland as an unsurfaced track, handy for light woodland maintenance purposes.
If It Were Mine
I would first brash cut the ride to the east to make a bushcraft area. Yielding some fuel for a wood burner would also be a priority; the chestnut for example would make good logs. A few family gatherings with a campfire would be nice near the boundaries that lookout to rural West Sussex. The kids could make fantastic dens here.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- The woodland is situated next to the village of Northchapel in West Sussex.
- Head north along the A283 from Northchapel village and after approximately 100 metres there is a turning to some fields set back on the left with a Woods4Sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park carefully so access through the gates is not blocked and climb the gates. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Once over the first gates you will find a second gate on your right. Please climb this one also and then continue up the track with grassland on either side of you until you enter the woodland (point B).
- Continue for 90 metres and take the sharp turning to your left (point C) and continue down the track and after 185 metres you will arrive at the woodland (point D), indicated by our Woods4Sale sign ahead.
- The northern boundary DF is indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts, DE is the inside edge of the track.
- All other boundaries are earth bunds with a dilapidated fence in places between the wood and the agricultural field.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for Copygrove Copse for all times and all purposes over the route ABCD.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.