Nutkins, near Tunbridge Wells, Kent. 3.76 acres of marvellous broadleaf woodland with vehicular access, 40 miles from London £52,000 (freehold) [#S1583]
A long-established coppice woodland with standards of oak and sweet chestnut within a larger wood, with recreational opportunities, on the Kent/East Sussex border.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 671 348
- Centre of wood: TQ 673 346
Nearest postcode: TN3 8HN
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Roadside gate: ///quack.drips.districts
Accessible in roughly an hour and a half from London, Nutkins is an exceptional place to get away from it all and enjoy woodland adventures with friends and family. Situated amongst a wider peaceful Ancient Woodland, the wood lies 7 miles east of Royal Tunbridge Wells in rural Kent.
Located largely on level fertile loamy clay soils with occasional undulations, the canopy mainly comprises majestic oak standards (some of these stems are of an excellent quality), Scots pine, sweet chestnut coppice, poplar and ash. The shrub layer below encompasses hazel coppice, birch, hornbeam, sycamore and holly. A number of the sweet chestnut stems could be selected as a good source of fuel or even post and rail fencing using the Forestry Commission thinning licence currently in place. Areas of bluebell, primrose, fern, bracken and blackberry decorate the ground layer, a particularly pleasant scene during the warmer months!
Towards the northeast, far reaching rural views can be enjoyed; this would make a nice secluded location for occasional camping. In addition, there are several open areas ideal for bushcraft activities.
Woodland creatures including muntjac, roe and fallow deer, yellow-necked mouse, badger and fox have all been sighted. A range of feathered visitors such as treecreeper, greenfinch, woodpecker, long eared owl and many harmonious songsters enjoy the tranquillity of this area.
Nutkins embodies an ideal haven for an enthusiastic woodsman keen on bushcraft and woodland life. It enjoys vehicular access along an unsurfaced track suitable for a light 4WD vehicle year-round and a 2WD car in drier months.
If It Were Mine
Friends and family would definitely be invited for occasional BBQs and camping. Bushcraft is also high on the agenda; hazel coppice from the shrub layer is a very handy material to work with. I would consider raking a nice foot path to the northeastern end of the wood. Some of the blown chestnut would make ample fire logs once seasoned!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the centre of Lamberhurst village, continue south through the high street passing the Chequers Inn pub, Premier shop then up the hill passing the village green towards Wadhurst, along the B2100.
- After 0.9 miles you will reach the outer edge of the village passing the entrance to Lamberhurst Furniture and J. Cannella Plant and Tool Hire on the right.
- Continue for 160 metres beyond this entrance through the last of the traffic calming measures arriving at a wooden five bar gate immediately on the left with a Red Rock Forestry sign attached (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a safe place not obstructing any traffic nor the gate.
- Climb over the gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings), following the track and continue straight on at the crossroads (point B).
- After 285 metres you will arrive at the woodland on the left (point C), indicated by green, white and orange paint on a wooden post.
- The southwest boundary CD is the outside edge of the track, indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance.
- The southeast boundary DE is indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The northeast boundary EF is the centre of the ditch, FG is indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The northwest boundary GC is indicated by orange paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABC.
- A right of way is reserved along CD for the benefit of woodland beyond.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Tree Preservation Order
The woodland is designated as an Ancient Woodland and is subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). This does not prevent appropriate tree felling. However, the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained in advance.
Third Party Rights
- Mid Kent Water Company have the right to enter the land to maintain the pipe between point XY on the plan and to make good any damage caused as a result.
- Any relics or antiques discovered within the woodland are owned by a third party.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.