Glovers Landing, near Charlwood, Surrey. 4.69 acres of mature broadleaf and conifer woodland with a seasonal stream and vehicular access, 6 miles northwest from Crawley. £51,000 (freehold) [#S1546]
A delightful secluded woodland with oak, hornbeam and Norway spruce with farmland views and recreational opportunities, conveniently located 30 miles from London.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 187
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside access: TQ 222 400
- Centre of wood: TQ 224 408
Nearest postcode: RH5 5BS
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Glovers Landing is situated at the northern end of a wider forested area known as Glovers Plantation, just over a mile from Charlwood village in semi-rural Surrey.
Situated predominantly amongst level loamy clay soil, the mature canopy separated by a useful access track comprises majestic oak, ash, Lawson cypress and occasional Norway spruce to the east. Running along both its eastern and southern boundaries are tall Lawson cypress, giving a sense of privacy to this area of the wood. The western side of the wood consists of tall oak, birch and ash; some of the ash could make useful firewood for the hearth.
The north-western end of the woodland is designated as Ancient Woodland. Here there are a number of lush grassy locations amongst magnificent hornbeam, along with a meandering seasonal stream and far reaching rural views beyond. In addition, a small section at the most northern point of this Ancient Woodland area is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). The shrub layer below includes boxwood, snowberry, hazel coppice, laurel and hawthorn.
During warmer months a delightful scene is created with bluebells, primrose, foxglove, wood anemone and lesser celandine covering the ground layer, all very much welcomed by our essential pollinators!
A variety of woodland creatures including both muntjac and roe deer, badger, fox, rabbit and wood mouse have all been spotted. Many feathered visitors such as little owl, green woodpecker, tree creeper, and a range of acoustic songsters revel in the tranquillity of this location.
Glovers Landing has vast scope for a weekend woodsman and is a wonderful secluded place to enjoy with family and friends. It benefits from vehicular access navigable with a 2WD vehicle in all but the wettest of conditions.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly clear an area towards the southeast corner for occasional camping, perhaps with a further clearing near the stream for BBQs with the family. A few of the ash on the western side would make good fuel for a wood burning stove at home. A rope swing could be fun!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From junction 9 of the M23, continue towards the A23 following signs to North Terminal and Redhill A23, taking the second exit off the roundabout.
- After 0.8 miles, take the fourth exit off the roundabout towards Crawley and Redhill A23.
- Continue along the A23 for 0.4 miles and take the first exit at the roundabout signposted towards Charlwood and Russ Hill Hotel, keeping Gatwick Airport on the left.
- After half a mile continue on to Charlwood Road towards Charlwood and Newdigate at the point where the road chicanes right and then left.
- After 2 miles, you will pass the village green on the left in Charlwood village.
- Continue west on The Street for 300 metres, bearing left onto Rectory Lane at the T junction, then continue on to Russ Hill Road leaving Charlwood village.
- After 1 mile, you will pass the driveway to the Russ Hill Hotel on your left and then an entrance to Westlands Farm Stud shortly after, also on the left.
- Continue for 250 metres, you will pass two signs next to each other on the right ‘Charlwood Lane’ and ‘Russ Hill’, just after the small bridge.
- Access to the woodland (point A) is on the right indicated by a steel gate and two steel bollards, opposite a new entrance for Westlands Farm Stud with post and rail fencing set back off the road.
- Please park safely not obstructing the road or any access.
- From here, walk round the steel gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings) following the track bearing gently left and continuing straight along the long track following the white arrows on trees.
- Continue for 655 metres crossing over two public footpaths and you will arrive at the woodland, indicated by our Woods4Sale sign and yellow paint on a short wooden post.
- The eastern boundary is indicated by blue paint on occasional trees and wooden posts.
- The northwest boundary is the low earth bund with fields beyond.
- The western boundary is indicated by red paint on occasional trees and wooden posts.
- The southern boundary is indicated by yellow paint on occasional trees and wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and include in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for the owner of Glovers Landing over the routes AB, BE, and BDC.
- A right of way is reserved over the route BC for the benefit of woodland beyond, however part of the track is overgrown and this does not appear to be used.
- All shared tracks are subject to a maintenance clause with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
The woodland is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.