Swan Wood, Reigate, Surrey. 7.26 acres of ancient broadleaved woodland with a pond for £89,000 (freehold) [#S1508]
A delightful mixed broadleaved woodland with high conservation importance including a small pond. Excellent access over a hard track in a quiet location close to Reigate and the M25.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 187
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside access: TQ 275 475
- Centre of wood: TQ 274 473
Nearest postcode: RH1 5HJ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Swan Wood is designated as an Ancient Semi Natural Woodland because it has been under continuous tree cover since the 1600s when records began. Mature standards of oak, beech, chestnut, hornbeam and ash dominate this woodland with an abundance of regrown stools and smaller trees including birch, hawthorn, hazel, holly and sycamore. The ground layer has significant amounts of snowberry, bluebell and wood anemone to delight the eye in spring and summer.
The pond situated to the northeast of the wood is a wonderful draw for insects and wildlife. It is a beautiful feature of the wood and is immensely rewarding to watch the wildlife that it sustains.
Within the wood there are areas of varying density of trees with some open areas connected by narrow trails.
Taking advantage of the fertile soils, the trees benefit form seasonally wet acidic “black stuff” which is base-rich loamy clay consistency.
This woodland would make an excellent family recreation and conservation woodland but with the additional benefit of growing some very good quality hardwood timber.
Access to the woodland from the council road is excellent along a good quality hard forest road, suitable for cars all year round.
If It Were Mine
I would like to enhance the natural features and habitats in this ancient wood - perhaps get involved in the local nature group to benefit from some volunteer work to give mother nature a helping hand. Some light tree work, fencing and planting could have wonderful benefits for the wood and those involved, and I would most certainly attach a rope swing on one of the old oaks for hours of fun.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the M25, exit at junction 8 and head south on the A217 for Reigate. Stay on the A217 through the town centre and turn left on to the A2044 as you reach the southern edge.
- Stay on the A2044 for 1½ miles. Turn right as if going to the final house on the road and behind the roadside hedge is a gravel track just before the house that leads to the wood (point A on the plan below).
- Follow this hard track for about 350 metres until you see a gate on your left (point B).
- Please park here and continue on foot to Swan Wood (sorry, we do not issue keys for viewing, but full vehicular access to the wood will be granted upon completion).
- Follow the hard road into the wood until you see a wooden post with an orange painted top (point C).
Please ensure that your car is not blocking the main track running up the side of the woodland as this is in use at all times by the residents living beyond.
- The northern boundary is a low earth bank indicated by wooden posts with orange painted tops.
- The eastern boundary is a post and rail fence with the adjacent paddock.
- The southern boundary is partly barbed wire fence with an occasional old woven hedge.
- The western boundary is a low earth bank.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route ABC.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
- A public footpath runs along the southern boundary.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.