Northcote Wood, near Crowborough, East Sussex. 1.91 acres of mature broadleaf woodland with good access, 40 miles from London £26,000 (freehold) [#S1445]
A tranquil woodland comprising oak, birch and sweet chestnut in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 2 miles west of Crowborough.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate (point A on the plan): TQ 495 314
- Centre of wood: TQ 497 313
Nearest postcode: TN6 1TX
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Northcote Wood is located within a peaceful wider woodland known as Cow Field, a stone’s throw from Ashdown Forest and 2 miles west of the town of Crowborough in East Sussex.
Situated among gently sloping loamy clay soils, the canopy primarily consists of some excellent quality mature oak standards, sweet chestnut, sycamore, along with occasional beech and Scots pine. The shrub layer beneath is made up of hornbeam, holly, hazel coppice, birch, rowan and colourful rhododendron. Some of the birch stems would be great for a wood burner, using the existing Forestry Commission thinning licence. Come spring and summer, the ground layer is a charming delight with patches of bluebell, foxglove, fern and bracken.
There is a number of areas within the copse that could make good areas for bush craft, as well as an occasional overnight stay with friends and family.
Mammals regularly visiting the wood include roe deer, badger, fox and common pipistrelle bats. A range of bird life such as woodpecker, buzzard, little owl, yellowhammer, and numerous acoustic songbirds also enjoy the serenity of this place.
Northcote Wood has good vehicular access and is navigable along a hard track suitable all year round for a 2WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
There is plenty of scope here for an aspiring woodsman, I would enjoy spending a lot of time in this wonderful natural environment! I would consider some fuel for the hearth. To unwind and recharge my batteries I would enjoy a spot of forest bathing.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
This video is of the larger woodland as a whole and is not representative of any specific sale.
Directions & Access
- From the centre of Crowborough, continue south along the A26, passing the fire station and Morrisons petrol station on the left.
- After 0.5 miles turn right onto Warren Road and continue along through the residential estate and through the crossroads at Rannoch Road and then Fielden Road (point V on the plan below).
- Stay on Warren Road, which will eventually change to a good hard stone track.
- After 0.7 miles the road forks at a small wooden hut with a sign attached saying ‘Home Farm’ (point W), take the fork left where the tarmac ends. Please take care driving along the track from here.
- Continue down the track passing the post box and house development on the right, passing through a wooden gate shortly after.
- After 660 metres you will arrive at the bottom of the track with a wooden gate to the right, just as the bridleway bears left (point X).
- The gate is often closed but not locked, please open the gate (closing it behind you) and continue through the wider forest, following the occasional red arrows on trees and passing the lake on the left.
- After 1430 metres you will arrive at a forked junction in the track (point A), where another track spurs into woodland with a wooden gate and some post and rail fencing set back with a Red Rock Forestry management sign attached. Please park in a suitable place not obstructing any entrances or tracks.
- Climb the gate (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewing), and continue along the track passing a turn on the right.
- After 240 metres you will arrive at Northcote Wood on the left (point B), indicated by green and white paint on a wooden post.
- The east boundary CD is indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees, DE is the shallow ditch indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The northeast boundary EF is indicated by orange paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The southwest boundary BC is the inside edge of the track, indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts that may be off-set by a short distance.
- The west boundary BF is indicated by white paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and all purposes over the route VWXAYZ and ABC.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Third Party Rights
The wood is subject to a right whereby the adjoining land is allowed to access tracks and paths on horse or by foot and to use machinery to maintain and repair the said tracks and paths.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.