Little Aspen Wood, near Maidstone, Kent. 4.22 acres of beautiful Ancient Woodland with rural views. Two miles from junction 8 of the M20. £45,000 (freehold) [#S1427]
Superb mixed broadleaf woodland in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with many recreation opportunities, 40 miles from London.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 819 561
- Centre of wood: TQ 828 555
Nearest postcode: ME14 3LY
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Located within a serene gated Ancient Woodland, Little Aspen Wood lies 4 miles east of the town of Maidstone in semi-rural Kent.
Situated on level loamy clay soil, the maturing canopy that re-established through natural regeneration approximately 30 years ago consists of oak, aspen, ash, birch and hornbeam (a few of these would make good fuel for a log burner). In addition, the woodland is occasionally varied by a mature majestic broadleaf canopy tree. The lush shrub layer below is made up of ash thickets, hazel, hawthorn and young oak. Flanking its eastern boundary are a number of mature hornbeam and oak. The ground layer looks a delight in warmer months with patches of bluebells, wood anemone, celandine, wild rose and wild strawberry.
Towards the east is a grassy ride giving good additional access, along with a seasonal stream that flanks its boundary. This area also looks out east to picturesque farmland, a great spot for bushcraft and overnights.
A diversity of bird life such as nightingale, woodlark, kestrel, little owl and an abundance of songsters enjoy the serenity of the area. Many mammals also frequent; roe deer, hare, badger, fox and common pipistrelle bats have all been observed.
Little Aspen Wood has good access along a hard track that is navigable all year round with a 2WD vehicle.
There is a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) on the woodland, this simply means that the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained prior to and felling of trees.
If It Were Mine
Strimming the grassy ride to the east of the woodland would create a delightful area to overnight, while also enjoying the rural views. My bushcraft skills would also be honed here, and what a perfect place to forest bathe amid the stems!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From junction 8 of the M20, continue west along the A20 towards Bearsted passing Bearsted car wash on the right.
- After 0.7 miles turn right at the bus stops and post-box on the left into a narrow road called Crismill Road. If you pass ‘Potted Garden’ nursery then you have gone too far.
- Continue along Crismill Road over the red brick railway bridge and under the M20, and bear left at the other side onto Crismill Lane.
- Continue along Crismill Lane bearing right where the tarmac will finish and continue straight along the track.
- After 360 metres you will come to a locked steel gate on the right (point A on the plan below) with a residential sign saying ‘Home Court’ ahead. Please park in a suitable place not obstructing any entrances or tracks. Climb the gate (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewing).
- Continue along the track crossing over a stream (point B) following the occasional blue arrows on trees and passing a pond on the right
- After 930 metres you will arrive at another steel gate (point C), climb over the gate and continue along the track.
- After 290 metres turn left at the T junction (point D) just after the green shed, also on the left.
- Continue along the track for 90 metres and you will arrive at a steel gate ahead of you and our Woods4Sale sign and green X on a tree just below it to the right (point E), the woodland is to the right.
- The north boundary EF is the inside edge of the ride, indicated by yellow paint on occasional wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance.
- The east boundary FH is the stream with fields beyond.
- The south boundary HG is the outside edge of the track, indicated by red paint on occasional wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance.
- The west boundary GE is the stock fence on the outside edge of the track.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABCDEF.
- A right of way is reserved over the route EG and GH for the benefit of woodland beyond.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way, with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.