Longridge Wood, near Heathfield, East Sussex. 3.36 acres of peaceful woodland with many recreational opportunities in a rural location, 20 miles from Hastings. £52,500 (freehold) [#S1413]
Marvellous mature broadleaf and conifer woodland overlooking a stream with good vehicular access, 55 miles from London.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 199
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 567 222
- Centre of wood: TQ 571 232
Nearest postcode: TN21 0SH
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Longridge Wood is an exceptional copse that lies a short distance from the market town of Heathfield within a peaceful wider gated woodland in rural East Sussex.
Located on gentle slopes that gradually undulate further north, the woodland sits among fertile loamy clay soil with a largely mature canopy comprising majestic oak, sweet chestnut and birch to the southeast. Norway spruce, Lawson cypress and occasional Douglas fir (one of the tallest tree species in Great Britain and one of the world’s finest softwood timbers!) occupy an area to the northwest. In addition, there is a number of hornbeam where the woodland's topography descends to the northern boundary, fringed by a charming meandering stream with level banks. The shrub layer below includes bushy holly, hawthorn, rowan, ash and hazel. Come spring, the ground layer is a colourful delight with swathes of bluebells, wood anemone and primrose.
Towards the south a secluded grassy mowed area, useful large timber deck and a handy log store nearby by makes an ideal spot for overnighting. Further along, there is a compost toilet. Along the banks of the stream rustic steps lead to a pair of wood fired baths, a rather wonderful perspective from which to enjoy this tranquil environment!
Visiting wildlife is tempted by the serenity of the area; fallow deer, fox, badger, long-tailed tit, treecreeper, sparrow hawk and many acoustic songs birds are abundant in number.
Longridge Wood benefits from good vehicular access situated at the end of a hard-surfaced track navigable with a 2WD vehicle. There is also a space at the end of the track where special permission has been given to park a campervan.
If It Were Mine
What a perfect woodland environment to wind down after a busy day of bushcraft activities, perhaps taking a long soak in the fire baths. I would be keen to install a beehive or two in the far southwest corner, at a suitable distance from my overnighting location. Some of the sweet chestnut stems would make perfect fuel.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the centre of Heathfield, continue west along the A265 towards Tunbridge Wells.
- After 1 mile, turn sharply right signposted for English Woodlands Specialist Tree Nursery and Stuart Foord Fencing Supplies.
- Continue along the lane passing a telecommunications tower and Stuart Foord Fencing Supplies on the left.
- After 470 metres the lane forks, follow the sign for English Woodlands and turn right almost immediately at a locked steel gate (point A on the plan below) (if you drive into English Woodlands through the high green fencing you’ve gone too far).
- Please park in a suitable safe place neither obstructing the gate nor through traffic.
- Climb the gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings) and continue along the track passing under some power lines.
- After 400 metres, climb over a second locked steel gate (point B) and continue along the track through the wider woodland.
- After 600 metres, continue over the crossroads in the track (point C) and downhill passing two white Xs on a tree to the right.
- After 100 metres you will arrive at the woodland on the left indicated by a wooden post with orange paint and our Woods4Sale sign just beyond (point D).
- The short northeast boundary DE is the outside edge of the track indicated by red paint on occasional wooden posts that may be off-set by a short distance, EF isindicated by red paint on occasional wooden posts.
- The south boundary DH is indicated by orange paint on occasional trees and a wooden post.
- The west boundary HG is indicated by yellow paint on occasional trees.
- The northwest boundary GF is the south bank of the stream. Please note the stream is not within Longridge Wood.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCD on the plan below.
- A right of way is reserved over the route DE for the benefit of woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.