Spur Wood, near Staplecross, East Sussex. 1.79 acres of peaceful mixed species woodland in a rural location, 7 miles from the A21. £29,500 (freehold) [#S1401]
Lovely broadleaf and conifer woodland with good access containing young oak and cedar in a peaceful setting in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 11 miles from Hastings.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 199
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 796 218
- Centre of wood: TQ 790 219
Nearest postcode: TN32 5QL
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Spur Wood is a delightful young woodland lying a short distance southeast of the village of Staplecross and is part of a peaceful wider gated woodland.
Located on gently sloping fertile loamy clay soils, the maturing canopy planted approximately 25 years ago largely comprises oak, occasional ash and hornbeam. The latter is known for its decent firewood properties. An attractive area towards the southeast corner consists of cedar, field maple, sycamore, crab apple and hawthorn. Patches of primrose, gorse, saw-wort, foxglove and orchid provide a burst of colour during the summer months.
Two rides along the west and northeast boundary afford good additional access, particularly useful if a new owner wishes to yield a little firewood for a log burner, making use of the current Forestry Commission thinning licence. In addition, a number of secluded grassy areas in the southeast corner would be lovely once strimmed.
A number of wildlife creatures are enticed by the tranquillity of this setting; deer (roe and muntjac), badger, fox, skylark, long-tailed tit, woodpecker, buzzard and harmonious songsters are rich in number.
Spur Wood is accessed along a hard-surfaced track and is one of few places in the southeast of England out of earshot of the drone of traffic.
If It Were Mine
A morning’s strimming in the southeast of the wood would be my first task creating a marvellous area for relaxing in the midday sun with a book. I might also use this area for the occasional overnight camp with the family around a small fire. Some hornbeam and oak logs for the home hearth are also a sure thing.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Take the A21 northwards from Hastings, after around five miles take the B2244 signposted Sedlescombe.
- Continue through the village of Sedlescombe for around 4 miles passing Sedlescombe Organic Vineyard on the left.
- At the junction take the righthand turn B2165 signposted Staplecross, at the village follow the road round to the right after a mile you pass Chalk Down Lime builders supplies.
- Take the immediate right down Ellenwhorne Lane, continue down the lane for ½ a mile and take the right turn (point X on the plan below) down the track over a stream.
- Open the steel gate (please close it behind you) and continue along the track through the field to another locked gate (point A), park on the left being careful not to obstruct the track.
- Climb the gate, (sorry we do not supply keys for viewings) and follow the track for 240 metres passing a turn on the left (point B).
- Turn right (point C) and continue up the hill.
- Pass a shed on the right and take the middle track at the three-pronged junction (point D).
- Continue up the middle track and the woodland is immediately to the right, indicated by the wooden sign on a tree and pull in.
- The northeast boundary EF is indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The west boundary FG is indicated by orange paint on occasional wooden posts and trees on the outside edge of the ride.
- The east boundary DE is the outside edge of the track indicated by blue paint on occasional short wooden posts that may be off-set by a short distance.
- The southwest boundary DG is the inside edge of the track indicated by white paint on occasional short wooden posts that may be off-set by a short distance.
Whilst the land was copyhold land (which may mean certain sporting rights historically belonged to the lord of the manor) we believe the sporting rights do come with the land. No third parties currently exercise any such rights over the land.
Whilst the land was copyhold land (which may mean certain mineral rights historically belonged to the lord of the manor) we believe the mineral rights do come with the land. No third parties currently exercise any such rights over the land.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route XABCDG on the plan below.
- A right of way is reserved over the route DE for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.