Hoggs Wood, near Horsham, Surrey. 3.29 acres of spectacular broadleaf and conifer woodland with a large pond and stream in a rural setting, 35 miles from London. £49,500 (freehold) [#S1387]
A charming woodland comprising oak, cherry and Norway spruce, well located with private gated access, pond and lovely views.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 187
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 059 342
- Centre of wood: TQ 058 341
Nearest postcode: RH12 3BE
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Hoggs Wood is situated 11 miles from Guildford and forms part of a larger forested area close to the West Sussex border.
Located among fertile loamy clay soils on very gentle slopes, this copse contains an Ancient Woodland area towards the northeast, comprising majestic oak standards with hazel coppice and holly in the shrub layer below. This area also has a lovely meandering stream leading to a good sized pond. A ‘younger’ canopy planted approximately 50 to 60 years ago near the centre of the copse includes oak, cherry (a quality honey tinged timber with a silky grain, often used for veneer), sycamore, ash and birch. A smattering of mature Norway spruce also occupy this part of the woodland. Throughout spring, the ground layer is brimming with colourful flora including bluebells, primrose, foxglove, wood anemone and common dog-violet, creating a pretty wooded scene.
An open glade to the south comprises thickets of birch, bushes of yellow gorse, blackberry with a number of planted red beech, hornbeam and yew. In addition, a few wonderful mature Lawson Cypress and oak fringe a useful access track that flanks the bund along the western boundary.
A diversity of woodland creatures such as deer (fallow and roe), badger, fox, brown long-eared bat and adder have been spotted. Many feathered visitors including little owl, sparrowhawk, woodpecker and many harmonised songsters enjoy the tranquillity of this location.
Hoggs Wood is accessible with a 4WD vehicle all year round and a 2WD in all but the wettest of weather conditions.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly brash cut some trails through the glade and clear an area to overnight, looking up at a star filled night sky. Making a few hazel thumb sticks for hill walking may well happen. A BBQ area near the pond will be high on my list, as well as yielding some firewood for my log burner at home.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Guildford, head south along the A281 passing through Bramley.
- After 10 miles you will reach the village of Alfold Crossways, continue through the village along the A281, passing the BP petrol station on the right.
- Continue out of Alfold Crossways along the A281, passing Horton Farm on the right.
- After 1 mile you will arrive at a post and rail fence and steel gate on the right with our Woods4Sale sign attached to it, (point A on the plan below). If you reach Rikkyo School, you have gone too far by about 90 metres.
- Climb the gate to access the woodland. Sorry we do not supply keys for viewings.
- The east boundary BC is the old iron fence with the school playing fields beyond.
- The south boundary CD is indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts.
- The west boundary is in part DE, indicated by yellow paint on short wooden posts (two of which cross the track), a corner fence post and occasional trees, EF is the earth bund, indicated by yellow paint on occasional wooden posts.
- The northeast boundary HB is indicated by the post and rail fence with the A281 beyond.
- The northwest boundary FG is the low earth bund, indicated by orange paint on occasional wooden posts and trees, the short section GH is indicated by the dilapidated stock fence and green paint on occasional wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are excluded from the sale.
Rights Of Way
There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.