Flower Wood, near Horsham, Surrey. 1.75 acres of spectacular broadleaves and conifer in a rural setting, 35 miles from London. £29,000 (freehold) [#S1358]
A lovely broadleaf and conifer woodland comprising oak, cherry and Norway spruce, well located with good access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 187
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 053 343
- Centre of wood: TQ 057 341
Nearest postcode: RH12 3BQ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Situated 11 miles from Guildford, Flower Wood is a charming copse forming part of a larger gated woodland close to the West Sussex border.
Planted approximately 50 to 60 years ago, this tranquil wood is located on fertile level loamy clay soils with a canopy of majestic oak, cherry (a good quality light demanding species with a honey coloured timber and silky grain, often used for veneer), sycamore, ash, birch and occasional Norway spruce, a useful fuel for a log burner. The lush shrub layer beneath consists of hazel coppice, hawthorn and regenerating ash thickets. Come spring, the ground layer is brimming with colourful flora including bluebells, primrose, wood anemone and common dog-violet, creating a lovely woodland scene amongst the trees. Flanking its access track to the west is an earth bank awash with bluebell with some bushy coppiced hazel stools on top.
Many feathered visitors, such as little owl, sparrowhawk, woodpecker and many tuneful songbirds also enjoy the tranquillity of this location. A variety of woodland creatures including deer - both fallow and roe, badger, fox, brown long-eared bat and adder have been spotted.
Towards the northwest corner, a grassy area looking out across farmland would make a good spot to occasionally pitch a tent. The eastern boundary is defined by an earth bund, giving a nice sense of privacy.
Flower Wood is navigable with a 4WD vehicle all year round and a 2WD in all but the wettest of weather.
If It Were Mine
Fashioning some hazel thumb sticks is a must, perhaps combined with summer evenings occasionally overnighting by a small fire. Strimming the grassy area at the northwest corner would also feature in my plans. I would also consider yielding some firewood for the hearth during winter.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
This video is of the larger woodland as a whole and is not representative of any specific part of the woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Guildford, continue south along the A281 passing through Bramley.
- After 10 miles you will reach the village of Alfold Crossways, continue through the village along the A281, passing the BP petrol station and Hortons Farm on the right.
- 0.7 miles after passing the BP petrol station, the road dips just beyond the entrance for RGH Supplies with a turning on the right, indicated by orange Xs on a public footpath signpost (point X on the plan below).
- Turn right off the road and please park carefully in a suitable safe place not obstructing the steel gates.
- Walk round the gates (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings) and continue south along the track, passing a large agricultural barn on the left.
- After 360 metres you will see our Woods4Sale sign on the left attached to a gate, continue along the track for a further 80 metres and you will arrive at a second gate on the left and a pond next to it (point A).
- Climb over the gate and continue along the track for 360 metres to the far corner of the high deer fence (point B) and turn left.
- Continue for 75 metres and you will arrive at Flower Wood, indicated by a wooden name sign on a tree and white paint on a wooden post (point C).
- The east boundary is the earth bund, indicated by yellow paint on occasional wooden posts.
- The south boundary is indicated by white paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The west boundary is the outside edge of the track indicated by green paint on wooden posts that may be off-set by a short distance and green paint on occasional tree stumps.
- The north boundary EF the low earth bund with the fence and fields beyond, the short section DE is indicated by pink paint on two wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are excluded from the sale.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route XABC.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.