Jack Daw Wood. 79.37 acres of mature mixed woodland, meadows and a stream with good vehicular access. Well located, 2 miles west of Crowborough, East Sussex. Offers in excess of £395,000 (freehold) [#S1353]
A large mixed woodland with both conifer and broadleaves with potential commercial value. Excellent vehicular access in a rural location, 35 miles south of London.
Offers in excess of £395,000 (freehold)
OS Landranger Series Sheet No:
Ordnance Survey Grid References: 188
- Roadside gate: TQ 485 319
- Centre of wood: TQ 490 315
Nearest postcode: TN6 1TX
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Jack Daw Wood is a mixed woodland located among a wider forested area within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, situated 3 miles west of the market town of Crowborough.
Sitting largely on sandy loams to the southwest and loamy clays to the northeast, the woodland slopes steadily in an easterly direction and comprises a good variety of conifer and broadleaved compartments at varying stages and indicates good past management.
The far southwest of the wood comprises a maturing canopy of Corsican pine having recently undergone a light thinning. Occupying the central part of the woodland are several broadleaf compartments that include second rotation young sweet chestnut coppice that is now well established. Compartments of mature Corsican pine, Scots pine, Norway spruce and occasional areas of mix broadleaf dominate the northeast, with a number of these compartments in their final phase and should yield some valuable timber for a new owner. Two open areas have been created as a result of minor wind blow, allowing natural regeneration, with young birch currently taking hold. In addition, a number of majestic oaks with amenity value can be found scattered throughout, many of the stems are of excellent quality (stocking schedule and plan available on request).
As well as good hard track access encompassing most of the woodland, a network of handy internal soft tracks opens up access to many areas that will serve a new owner well for future forest management (there is a Forestry Commission thinning licence in place until 2027).
This quiet wood is home to a vast array of wildlife including populations of deer (roe, fallow and barking), stoat, fox, sparrow hawk, buzzard, cuckoo and numerous songbirds.
Jack Daw Wood offers huge scope for potential long-term investment and possible income as well as recreational opportunities, such as orienteering and overnighting.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly create a management plan focusing on timber production and replanting for future investment. I would also consider laying some stone on a few of the internal tracks for better vehicular access. This is also simply a lovely location to hide away and relax amongst a tranquil wooded landscape, perhaps having an occasional campfire with friends.
To View This Woodland
Please contact the Woods4Sale office to discuss the viewing arrangements.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Heading north from the A26 crossroads in the centre of Crowborough, take the fork left almost immediately after onto St John’s Road towards Horder Centre A & E and St John’s Church.
- Continue along St John’s Road passing the entrance to The Horder Centre on the left and passing between two Ashdown Forest 40 signs.
- After 1.8 miles turn sharply left onto the B2188 at the forked junction, towards Maresfield, Uckfield and Lewis.
- Continue southwest along the B2188 for one mile and arrive at a steel gate on the left with a secondary steel gate 15 metres further on (point X on the plan below).
- Continue through the gates (please close and lock the gates behind you) passing the large wood chipping storage facility on the right.
- After 500 metres you will arrive at Jack Daw Wood to the right of the track.
- To park, continue down the track for 450 metres and you will arrive at a grass pull in on the right (P) indicated by a short wooden post with white paint. Please park safely not obstructing the track.
- The northwest boundary AB is the inside edge of the track indicated by orange painted wooden posts which may be off-set by a short distance, BC is indicated by blue paint on wooden posts, CD is the inside edge of the hard track.
- The northeast boundary DE is indicated by red paint on wooden posts, EF is the centre of the stream.
- The southeast boundary FG is the inside edge of the hard track, GH is the high earth bund on the inside edge of the track.
- The southwest boundary HI is indicated by green paint on wooden posts, IA is the inside edge of the track.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route XYZ and YG.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Third Party Rights
A third party has the right to access defined tracks within the woodland on horse or by foot and to use machinery to maintain and repair the said tracks and paths.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
Offers are being invited in excess of the guide price stated above. Interested parties should contact our office to discuss making an offer.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.