Muttons Copse, near Horsham, Surrey. 2.85 acres of stunning Ancient Woodland in a rural location, 35 miles from London. £42,750 (freehold) [#S1338]
Stunning broadleaf and conifer woodland comprising oak, sweet chestnut and Norway spruce with farmland views and good access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 187
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 053 343
- Centre of wood: TQ 056 341
Nearest postcode: RH12 3BQ
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Located 11 miles south of Guildford, Muttons Copse is a delightful Ancient Woodland that forms part of a wider gated forest close to the West Sussex border.
This tranquil copse is situated on level loamy clay soils and comprises a mature canopy of majestic oak (many of the stems are of excellent quality), sweet chestnut, ash and occasional Norway spruce. The lush shrub layer beneath consists of hazel coppice (perfect for walking sticks!), large holly and regenerating sweet chestnut. During spring the ground layer is awash with beautiful bluebells (an Ancient Woodland indicator), creating a delightful woodland scene amongst the stems. Additional splashes of colour are provided by other ground flora including wood anemone, primrose and lesser celandine.
Regular woodland visitors include deer (fallow and roe), fox, badger, brown long-eared bat, adder, woodpecker, little owl and many harmonious songsters.
Predominantly surrounded by earth bunds, the wood offers a sense of privacy from within. A number of open spaces make superb locations for occasional overnighting. Far reaching rural views looking north, east and west are also enjoyed from the boundaries.
Muttons Copse is accessible with a 4WD vehicle all year round and a 2WD in all but the wettest of weather.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly fashion a few thumbsticks from the hazel coppice. Occasional overnighting and BBQs would happen during the summer months at any number of the attractive open locations, perhaps near one of the boundaries soaking up the scenic views.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Guildford, continue south along the A281 passing through Bramley.
- After 10 miles you will reach the village of Alfold Crossways, continue through the village along the A281, passing the BP petrol station on the right.
- 0.7 miles after passing the BP petrol station, the road dips just beyond the entrance for RGH Supplies with a turning on the right, indicated by orange Xs on a public footpath sign post (point X on the plan below).
- Turn right off the road and please park in a suitable safe place not obstructing the steel gates.
- Walk round the gates (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings) and continue south along the track, passing a large agricultural barn on the left.
- After 360 metres you will see our Woods4Sale sign on a steel gate (point A).
- Climb over the gate and continue along the wide soft track for 230 metres and you will arrive at Muttons Wood to the left of the track and over the low earth bund.
- The short east boundary CD is indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts and tree stumps, DE is the earth bund with dilapidated fence on top and fields beyond.
- The south boundary is the low earth bund on the inside edge of the track.
- The west boundary is the earth bund with the agricultural fence on top and fields beyond.
- The north boundary is the earth bund with dilapidated fence on top and fields beyond.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are excluded from the sale.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route XABC.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.