Weare Wood, Ockley, near Horsham, West Sussex. 2.4 acres of mature broadleaved woodland in a serene location. £32,000 (freehold) [#S1304]
A magnificent Ancient Woodland in rural Surrey with oak, ash and good vehicular access, 30 miles south of London.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 187
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 158 387
- Centre of wood: TQ 156 387
Nearest postcode: RH5 5NW
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Part of a wider Ancient Woodland area and designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), Weare Wood is situated in peaceful rural West Sussex.
Located on fertile loam over clay soils that slope gently north, the mature canopy predominately comprises majestic oak standards (many of the stems are of excellent quality), ash and birch. Below, a lush shrub layer consists of hazel coppice, hawthorn, holly (a useful slow burning firewood), younger birch and ash. Vibrant patches of primrose, blackberry, mosses, ferns and sedges embellish the ground layer, making the woodland particularly delightful during spring. Towards the centre of the wood, the interesting remains of an old track flanked either side by earth bunds could make a lovely open space for camping, or possible access for woodland management purposes.
Wildlife populations are abundant (characteristic of a SSSI woodland, please see the information below); birdlife and fauna include roe deer, fox, pygmy shrew, badger, mandarin duck, green woodpecker, owl and sparrowhawk. Many acoustic songsters can also be heard throughout this tranquil location.
Weare Wood offers vast scope for woodland recreation and bush craft for a weekend woodsman, who could also yield some fuel for the hearth. It benefits from good vehicular access both to the northeast and northwest of the copse, suitable for a 4WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly use the open space for a bush craft and overnighting area, perhaps whittling some hazel walking poles. I would also simply just enjoy immersing myself in this very special woodland location with my friends and family.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Horsham, travel north along the A24 to the Clark’s Green Roundabout (about 4½ miles north of Horsham).
- From this roundabout continue north on the A24 for 500 metres and take the first turning left onto the B2126 Coles Lane, signed for Ockley.
- Drive down this road for 800 metres, passing under the railway at Ockley Station, and then turn left into Weare Street.
- Continue down Weare Street for 1.3 miles passing a pond on your left until you see a black steel gate set back on the right with a wooden fence and large green agricultural shed behind it (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place off the road not obstructing the entrance or through traffic. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Climb over the gate and continue along the track passing the large green shed on the right for 175 metres and you will arrive at the woodland on the left, indicated by a short wooden post with blue paint and our Wood4Sale sign on a tree just beyond (point B).
- The boundary BCDE is the centre of the track, indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The boundary EFB is indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way for the owner of Weare Wood and a right reserved for the benefit of the woodland beyond, between the points ABCD and DE.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
There is a historic liability from 1960 to maintain boundary fences, however there is no evidence of any fencing in place.
Weare Wood is part of a wider woodland designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) situated in rural West Sussex.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.