Venn Wood, Ockley, near Horsham, West Sussex. 0.62 acres of mature broadleaved woodland within a Site of Special Scientific Interest. £10,000 (freehold) [#S1259]
A tranquil Ancient Woodland in rural Sussex with oak, ash and a small orchard with farmland views, 30 miles south of London.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 187
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside access: TQ 158 387
- Centre of wood: TQ 152 390
Nearest postcode: RH5 5NW
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Venn Wood is part of a wider Ancient Woodland designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) located in rural West Sussex.
Situated on level fertile loamy clay soils, the mature canopy predominately consists of ash and majestic oak standards. The shrub layer beneath comprises hazel coppice, hawthorn, sweet chestnut, holly, birch and field maple. Towards the north boundary, a yew and Lawson cypress add to the diversity of this lovely copse. Lush bracken, rush, blackberry and primrose cover the ground layer. The current owner has created a delightful orchard to the west of the wood where rural views can also be enjoyed. This secluded location would make a lovely camping location if strimmed.
Characteristic of a SSSI woodland, wildlife populations are abundant; birdlife and fauna include roe deer, badger, fox, pygmy shrew, green woodpecker, mandarin duck and sparrowhawk. Many harmonious songsters can also be heard throughout this peaceful wood.
Venn Wood offers huge scope for recreation or the keen woodsman who could yield some ash firewood for the hearth. Access is along a track suitable for a four-wheel drive vehicle with the track continuing part way along the northwest boundary, useful for firewood extraction.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly install some bee hives around the orchard area after strimming. I would also clear an area near the southwest boundary for summer camping with barbeques, soaking up the rural views.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Horsham, travel north along the A24 to the Clark’s Green Roundabout (about 4½ miles north of Horsham).
- From this roundabout head continue north on the A24 for 500 metres and take the first turning left onto the B2126 Coles Lane, signed for Ockley.
- Drive down this road for 800 metres, passing under the railway at Ockley Station, and then turn left into Weare Street.
- Continue down Weare Street for 1.3 miles passing a pond on your left, until you see our Woods4Sale sign next to a telegraph pole on the right.
- 40 metres after our Woods4Sale sign is the access point, indicated by a locked black steel gate (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place off the road not obstructing the entrance or through traffic. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Climb over the gate and continue along the track passing a large green shed on the right for 200 metres bearing right at the junction (point B).
- Continue for 250 metres then turn left at the junction, indicated by the Vann Lake Nature Reserve sign on the right (point C).
- Continue along the track through the woodland now following the red painted arrows on trees.
- After 370 metres you will arrive at Venn Wood to the left, indicated by our Woods4Sale sign on a tree.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by green paint on trees and occasional wooden posts.
- The east boundary is indicated by green paint on trees and occasional wooden posts.
- The southeast boundary is indicated by green paint on trees and wooden posts.
- The boundary is an earth bund with fields beyond.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABCD, EF and EG on the plan below.
- A right of way is reserved over the route DE for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Venn Wood is part of a wider woodland designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) situated in rural West Sussex.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.