Laud Wood, near Canterbury, Kent. 12.24 acres of charming Ancient Woodland in a semi-rural location with good access and numerous recreational opportunities. £99,000 (freehold) [#S1255]
A tranquil secluded woodland with mature sweet chestnut coppice and oak standards situated along a hard track, 4 miles west of Canterbury.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 179
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TR 087 586
- Centre of wood: TR 083 582
Nearest postcode: ME13 9LN
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Laud Wood is situated a short distance west of the cathedral city of Canterbury and forms part of a much wider ancient wooded area known as South Bishops Den in semi-rural Kent.
Located on rich loamy clay soils that slope gently south, the mature canopy comprises sweet chestnut coppice, oak (approximately 90 years old) and a number of majestic beech and birch. Below, a lush shrub layer consists of hazel, holly and regenerating sweet chestnut and beech. A ground layer of rushes, blackberry, primrose and occasional honeysuckle further embellish this delightful wood.
The vendors have owned the wood for several years and during this time have yielded sufficient firewood to meet their domestic heating needs. They have obtained this from a small area of sweet chestnut towards the southeast boundary, by way of a Forestry Commission felling licence (in place until January 2022 and which will be transferred to the new owner). This area is subsequently regenerating well from the stool and a simple management plan could be drawn up by a new owner for a future fuel supply. A useful soft track, better suited to 4WD vehicles, leads from the southern corner accessing much of the copse, enhancing the management and recreation opportunities.
Wildlife populations are abundant; muntjac deer, fox, yellow-necked mouse and badger are regular visitors. An array of bird life includes shoveler, lesser redpoll, nightjar, short-eared owl and many harmonious songsters. Buzzards have also been heard above in the canopy.
Laud Wood enjoys farmland views from the northwest corner (a nice location for camping perhaps!) and benefits from good access along a hard track navigable with a 2WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
A management plan is certainly my priority, ensuring a continuous stock of sweet chestnut firewood for my log burner. An area towards the secluded northwest corner would also be cleared for camping, soaking up the rural views over a barbeque.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Canterbury, travel southwest along the A28 passing Dunelm on the left and join the A2 signed to London (M2).
- Continue along the A2 for 3.1 miles and take the exit slip road signed for Gate Services, passing the Travel Lodge until you reach the Esso garage on the left.
- For the purposes of viewing please park in a suitable location behind the Esso garage building using the free parking facilities.
- From here continue on foot, take the left turn 20 metres after the Esso garage building (point A on the plan below) and continue along a tarmac lane with a short white fence to either side shortly after.
- After 115 metres you will arrive at three entrances, the middle of which has large black residential gates. The track leading to the woodland is to the left of the large black gates with a locked steel gate (point B).
- Walk round the locked steel gate (sorry we do not provide keys for viewings) and continue along the stone track with the wooden panel fence and caravan park on the right.
- After 250 metres walk round the second steel gate with white paint on a wooden post on the right (point C).
- Continue southwest along the track and after 340 metres you will arrive at the woodland on the right, indicated by our Woods4Sale sign on a tree (point D).
- The northwest boundary between FG is the earth bund and fields beyond and between points GH is indicated by red paint on wooden posts.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by red paint on wooden posts.
- The southeast boundary is indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
- The southwest boundary is indicated by red paint on wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are not included in the sale.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABCDE on the plan below.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Tree Preservation Order
The woodland is subject to a Tree Preservation order (TPO). This does not prevent appropriate tree felling. However, the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.