Green Wood, 10.52 acres of superb mature sweet chestnut and fine oak standards, just over 15 miles from junction 6 of the M20 and approximately 25 minutes east of Royal Tunbridge Wells. £99,000 (freehold) [#S1095]
A stunning mixed Ancient Woodland comprising of large sweet chestnut coppice, oak, larch and holly with good vehicular access and open areas. Under 3 miles from the picturesque Kentish village of Goudhust and 12 miles south of Maidstone.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 756 383
- Centre of wood: TQ 751 385
Nearest postcode: TN17 2LR
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Set amongst a well-managed wider amenity woodland, Green Wood is situated in south-west rural Kent, a short distance from the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The fertility of the loamy clay soils on this generally level woodland has created a strong canopy of sweet chestnut coppice, some outstanding oak standards and a number of vigorous larch. Below, some sizable birch (some of it coppiced) are accompanied by large holly trees and sweet chestnut regeneration. As well as some open areas within, the attractive rides would make the woodland accessible for some light silvicultural management for a budding weekend woodsman.
The song of the resident bird population can be heard thanks to the peace and tranquillity of the area. Green Wood is host to fauna, insects and fungi including badger, weasel, lurid bolete and dark bush cricket.
This exceptional woodland has been meticulously cared for and enjoyed and is testament to its former titleholders. We believe the current owners voluntarily contribute £50 per year as a collective for the upkeep of the wider forest. The lot is approached via a good hard track that would be suitable for a 2WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
I would firstly consider thinning out a little of the coppice crop to yield some domestic fuel wood. I would also certainly take full advantage of the plentiful great camping locations, perhaps making small campfires during the summer.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the village of Wilsley Pound continue southwest on the A229, passing the Shell garage on the left.
- At the roundabout, turn right onto the A262 towards Goudhurst and continue west, passing a red brick gatehouse and a pond on the left.
- After roughly 2 miles, turn right at the crossroads and old hop kiln buildings towards Blantyre House and Colliers Green.
- Continue north on Colliers Green Road for roughly half a mile and arrive at the woodland entrance gate (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable safe place off the road and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- From the gate (point A), continue along the track west for roughly 420 metres to point B on the plan below, indicated by the Woods4Sale sign. This is the start of the woodland.
- The eastern boundary is indicated by the inside bank of the ditch.
- The northern boundary is indicated by trees painted pink and wooden posts painted green.
- The western boundary is indicated by the inside edge of the track.
- The southern boundary is indicated by trees painted orange and wooden posts painted green.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is granted for Green Wood over the routes AB, FDCB and DE, marked on the plan below.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.