Eddieston School Wood, Benthoul, Peterculter, Aberdeenshire. A recently-felled plantation. 11.68 acres freehold as a whole for £49,000 [#A2174]
A productive and level woodland site ready for restocking.
AB14 0PR (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Entrance (A): ///haunt.pint.smashes
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 38
- Entrance (A): NJ 803 032
Eddieston School Wood lies on level ground amidst gently undulating countryside a mile west of Peterculter in rural Aberdeenshire. Aberdeen city centre is 10 road miles to the east.
The felling of the previous mature conifer stands was precipitated by damage from Storm Arwen. The entire crop was felled in 2022 and Eddieston is now bare of trees apart from a few fringing rowan and willow stems. It is offered as a productive restock site with good access to a variety of nearby timber markets.
The previous crop of mixed conifers (including Sitka spruce and Scots pine) was felled under a Scottish Forestry felling licence. The restock obligations currently state that the site is to be replanted with mixed broadleaves at 1,600 stems per hectare.
The Soil Survey of Scotland indicates the soils to be humus-iron podzols with some gleys and brown soils, suggesting suitability for a reasonably broad range of tree species.
Access is taken directly off the adjacent minor county road which has already proven itself in the extraction of the previous crop.
Eddieston now presents a clean palette for those with a vision for woodland planting and design.
If It Were Mine
There is an obligation to restock the wood. I’d be inclined to plant with broadleaves as per the current felling licence requirements, with an emphasis on native species including an element of woody shrubs for habitat creation. However the restock prescription could be swung towards conifers (subject to Scottish Forestry approval) for those with a more commercial outlook.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Peterculter head west on the A93 for just under a mile.
- Fork right onto a minor county signed for Linn Moor, Anguston and Benthoul.
- After 1.9 miles you will see Eddieston Schoolhouse on your left (A on the plan).
- Eddieston School Wood is on your right after this point.
- Please park clear of all tracks and driveways and enter on foot.
The entire wood is surrounded by a perimeter stone wall.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- Access is taken directly off the public road.
- There are no known public rights of way.
As is usual in Scotland, boundaries are maintained mutually with neighbours.
Third Party Rights
An oil pipeline runs through the wider subjects of which Eddieston Wood historically formed a part. It is not known if the pipeline crosses the sale area.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Please confirm how you will be funding the purchase and that you have cleared funds available
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.