Airies Copse, Sorbie, near Wigtown, Wigtownshire. A most attractive stand-alone wood of maturing conifers near to the coast in Dumfries and Galloway. 5.66 acres freehold for £55,000 [#A2051]
Mid-rotation spruce and mature broadleaves on a level site with road frontage and a charming outlook.
DG8 8AH (This is for the local area, not specific to the woodland).
Centre of wood: ///trinkets.retrieves.parked
Ordnance Survey Grid References
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 83
- Entrance: NX 436 479
- Centre of wood: NX 436 481
Airies Copse occupies a largely level site amidst the attractive rolling farmland of south Wigtownshire near Wigtown Bay on the Solway Coast. The wider landscape is one of grazing fields punctuated by woods, copses and stone walls. The wood fronts a public road which connects with the main A75 trunk route at Newton Stewart 11 miles to the north. Wigtown, Scotland’s book town is a five-minute drive away and the attractive Machars coast is close at hand.
The wood is almost entirely bounded by a stone wall. A modest hummock of broadleaves to the north gives way to level terrain elsewhere which for the most part is under conifer. The principal species is spruce (primarily Sitka but also some Norway) along with a scattering of Scots pine towards the south of the wood. The field edges are dominated by broadleaves with a strong oak presence along with ash, birch and sycamore. The spruce is in production phase. Thinning now could yield some useful timber while also enhancing the form of the retained crop and optimising final stand value.
The east side of the wood fronts the A746, and there is an access route for all purposes which leads from there into the southwest corner of the wood. Airies also benefits from the shared use of a large timber-stacking area about 100 metres further south.
The property presents as a very tidy and homogeneous wood in a most attractive setting. There’s plenty to do for the active woodsman and much to enjoy for the recreational forester.
If It Were Mine
I’d consider a light thinning and also look at favouring hardwoods by removing some of the conifer neighbours. A small clearing on the west side under the fringing oak stems would make a lovely locus for camping and quiet recreation.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Newton Stewart head south on the A714.
- Bypass Wigtown and then pass through the small village of Bladnoch, crossing the river of the same name.
- Continue south for 2 miles to Kirkinner and then on for a further 2.3 miles.
- Airies Copse is now on your right. Access to the woodland is at point E on the plan. Please park in a safe place and proceed along the track from E to A to enter the woodland.
- There is no access to the woodland at point D – this is private property.
- The west, north and east boundaries (ABCD) are defined by a stone wall.
- The east boundary (CD) fronts the A746.
- The south boundary (AD) is adjacent to a cottage garden.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way between points E and A.
- There is a right to stack timber on the hardstanding to the south of the woodland
As is usual in Scotland, field boundary maintenance is believed to be shared equally with neighbours.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Please confirm how you will be funding the purchase and that you have cleared funds available
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. We cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the land.