Knowes Copse, Springfield, near Aberchirder, Aberdeenshire. 3.84 acres of young mixed broadleaf planting for £29,000 (freehold) [#A1710]
An attractive young wood on level ground with direct road access.
Knowes Copse forms the western section of a young woodland composed of mixed broadleaves and scattered conifers dating from about 2015. The wood occupies level ground and enjoys a bright aspect with open views over adjacent farmland to the southwest including a distant glimpse of Benachie. Huntly is about 12 miles to the south from where the A96 makes easy connection to Aberdeen and Inverness.
The trees and shrubs have been planted in random fashion and at a light and variable density giving Knowes a natural look. You will find plenty of birch and occasional oak plus a few alder and Scots pine nearer to the road. There is a good variety of shrubs including hazel, hawthorn, rosa rugosa and dogwood. The wood is permeated with a number of small open areas plus a larger unplanted area near the entrance.
Like its neighbours, Knowes is progressively reverting to a more natural state and is already providing refuge to an increasing variety of birds and mammals. We saw stoats, roe deer and buzzards during our visit along with plenty of smaller songbirds.
With direct access onto the minor public road adjacent, the new owner of Knowes has a real opportunity to shape the future of this wood at a formative stage of its development.
If It Were Mine
I’d remove and dispose of the tree tubes wherever they are constricting the growing stems. There’s scope to further enrich the planting with additional native trees and shrubs in some locations, but I’d also maintain a small clearing as a locus for camping and recreation.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Huntly head north on the B9022.
- Continue for 9½ miles then turn tight at the T junction onto the A95.
- After one mile, near the scattered settlement of Gordonston, turn right onto the minor road signed for Ordiquhill Church (shortly after the 40mph sign).
- After 1/3 mile fork right immediately before Ordiquhill Church.
- Continue for 1.4 miles to arrive at the woodland entrance gate at the end of a deer fence on your left (A on the plan).
PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE INTO THE WOOD.
- The northwest boundary (DE) is indicated by a line of blue-topped posts.
- The northeast boundary (EF) is a deer fence.
- The southeast boundary (AF) is indicated by a line of orange-topped posts.
- The southwest boundary (AB) is the roadside deer fence.
- The small dogleg (BCD) is unmarked.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is reserved to others over the route AF.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all shared rights of way with liability according to use.
As is usual in Scotland, the maintenance of any boundary fences is shared equally with neighbours to stock height.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you have funds in place before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- Confirmation of how you will fund the purchase
- The full contact details of your instructed solicitor (including name of company, contact name, email address, telephone number and full address)
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.